Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Seattle - San Fransico - Denver

Hi, Kudos on a great road trip site. Masses of very useful information here which I have sifted through as best I can to make up my road

trip. My wife and I are in our sixties and making a first trip to the USA. The trip is scheduled for late September this year.

I still have some doubts as to practicality of my trip and would really like to hear opinions on how it could be improved. We have three

weeks to do the trip and given the distances involved do not expect be able to spend much time in any one place. It is really with an idea to

just having a first quick look at all those magnificent sights that each deserve many days if not weeks to explore. So, I guess my question

is: Is this plan feasible or is it likely to turn into a nightmare Red Ball Express drive?

So here is the plan, after visiting with friends in Vancouver, Canada, pick a rental in Seattle, then travel down the 101 with an overnight

in:
    Astoria
    Bandon
    Humboltd
    and into San Fransisco for 2 nights
    Monterey or Morro Bay
    Back up to Yosemite for 2 nights
    Death Valley (Lone Pine ?)
    Las Vegas
    Grand Canyon Flagstaff (Williams ?)
    Bluff (Kayenta?)
    Cortez - Mesa Verde 2 nights
    Torrey(Capitol Reef NP)
    Park City
    Yellowstone for 2 nights
    Cody (?)
    Rapid City
    Denver and then fly on to New York and then back to Europe.

If this is basically doable maybe I could come back to you guys to put some questions about details, such as the best route up from Morro bay

to Yosemite; would that be the 41 all the way up, or perhaps the 41 east to the 99 and that north through Fresno? Or something else

altogether?

And then which is the best Monument valley scenic route from Kayenta to Cortez, the 160 or the 163 through Mexican Hat?

Finally (?) the route from Cortez up to Park City (Utah)
    Would you go west through Monticello and Blanding and take the 95 through Glen Canyon and then the 24 at Hanksville through Capitol Reef NP

stay a night around there somewhere, maybe Torrey? Then on up to park City the next day.

We'd really like to see something of Zion and Bryce Np but I can't see haw to work them in - maybe if we went to the North rim of Grand

Canyon instead, does that seem feasible?

Thanks for helping us out here.
    Red
    Last edited by Redradial; 02-26-2009 at 03:51 AM.

Default Choices.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

You are already aware that it is going to be a "busy" trip but with 3 weeks it is doable in my opinion. If you wanted to cut back and have more time enjoying your surroundings then Yellowstone would be the obvious choice and there are many more splendid parks in Utah and Colorado to explore.

to Yosemite; would that be the 41 all the way up, or perhaps the 41 east to the 99 and that north through Fresno? Or something else
    Take the 41 all the way.

And then which is the best Monument valley scenic route from Kayenta to Cortez, the 160 or the 163 through Mexican Hat? D
    Take the 163 for M/V.

Finally (?) the route from Cortez up to Park City (utah)
    Would you go west through Monticello and Blanding and take the 95 through Glen Canyon and then the 24 at Hanksville through Capitol Reef NP

stay a night around there somewhere, maybe Torrey? Then on up to park City the next day.
    With the time quite tight here I would head up the 491/191 [Moab] /1-70/191. This also takes you past Arches NP.

We'd really like to see something of Zion and Bryce Np but I can't see haw to work them in - maybe if we went to the North rime of grand canyon instead, does that seem feasible?
    Yes it is feasible, but again you haven't got much free time to play with. You could head North on I-15 from Vegas to do so.
    If you were to do this [and want to do Yellowstone] my thoughts would be to miss M/V and Mesa Verde and head towards Park city from here. As great as the other places are, they put a lot of miles on your trip and I think you would have a more rewarding time enjoying the places you carefully choose rather than trying to do it all.

Thanks very much for your reply, Southwest Dave. Thanks for taking the time to help me with the routes. I will do some more thinking on the Bryce Canyon option instead of Mesa Verde. If we go to Mesa Verde then we will do as you suggest and afterwards take the 491/191 [Moab] /1-70/191 route and hopefully see something of the Arches NP.

Thanks again,
    Red

Redradial.

See this is your first trip to the US and appreciate it is not easy to comprehend the vast distances of the Western states. Being of the same age group as yourself and having visited the areas you wish to visit I would caution against too much mileage day in and day out.

You are really flying along passing through areas where you could fruitfully spend many days in just one of the many places you are visiting.

Firstly, September is an excellent time for such a trip. What does your wife think about the trip – I know my wife would want less mileage and more content.

Anyway being in the planning stage you have the opportunity to further research and finalise your plans. Good luck.

Thanks, Eris for your wise cautions. This trip started out by just being a drive down from Seattle to LA and then a flight out. But then I figured that since the Grand Canyon was so "close" we ought to take that in. Well one thing led to another the way it does and I kind of started to put in all the other places we "shouldn't miss". We started by eliminating LA from our plans and I tried to keep the daily runs down to around 250 miles a day, which is probably our limit although we both will drive. It is the compromise on what to see and what not to see that is tough, knowing that we probably shan't get a chance to come back. Clearly these choices are subjective and nobody can really make them for you but we are keen to listen to the views of those who have done it before and adjust our targets accordingly. We would like to visit the Mesa Verde site but it is quite a time-soak in our schedule and perhaps we would be wise to revise this out. We'll talk these ideas over and perhaps revise downwards.
    Thanks again for your input.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Redradial View Post
    It is the compromise on what to see and what not to see that is tough, knowing that we probably shan't get a chance to come back. Red
    Yeah!!! Know exactly how you feel... are thinking. I was the same.

Am about to embark on my fourth (tightly budgeted) trip. And like Eris, I too was your age when I embarked on my first American Road Trip.

Beware... that South Western corner is like a magnet.

Lifey

I sure hope that, like you Lifey, we shall get the chance to return to this area. I'd like to spend six months there - but without a big handout from some State fund I don't see that happening, LOL. I really wanted to get into LA and, for example, go on the Queen Mary aboard which I sailed as a deckhand in my youth - but that will have to go into the "Next Time" drawer. I can see that drawer is going to get full very quickly.
    Good luck with your next trip, by the way.

Red

I'm going to tease you a bit here. I just got back from a West Coast trip and was able to visit all 5 national parks in Utah plus a national monument in 3.5 days, starting in Page and ending in Kayenta, and without driving after sunset. Full trip report will be filed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I just got back from a West Coast trip and was able to visit all 5 national parks in Utah plus a national monument in 3.5 days, starting in Page and ending in Kayenta, and without driving after sunset. Full trip report will be filed soon.

What are you you waiting for - the engine fire to go out :)

I also don't drive more than 5 mph over the speed limit except under certain conditions, and I don't corner hard, I drive a full size pickup truck, not a sports car.