1. Default A rather small trip

So I'm in my second year of college and I'm really starting to get a bit stressed out. Friends are (expletive deleted) more and more each day, school work is piling up, and my job is just as boring as humanly possible. The closest thing I've had to a vacation since I was about twelve years old was a weekend long camping trip with the family every October. While I do love camping, the family aspect of it really drains some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

I live in Akron, Ohio (one of the most boring, depressing cities in the world) and am in the process of purchasing a motorcycle. I'm trying to plan a three or four day trip (probably just for myself because all of my friends are (expletive deleted)) where camping is involved, maybe some fishing, and just overall great scenery.

As I think more and more about this I get really excited. I'm aiming at taking a tent and maybe one or two changes of clothes, a fishing pole and nothing else. I'm trying to get together ideas of really great, scenic areas where I can drive to and pitch camp for a night, but I do want to stay in Ohio. I'll drive several hundred miles if I need to - I need a vacation THAT bad. I just need ideas. And cost! How much does everyone think I should take with me? I'm thinking $200 should be plenty for what I plan to do.

Any pointers or ideas?

**EDIT**
    I want to add that I'm asking this with almost no travel knowledge. The furthest I've traveled on my own is Canton, Ohio (about thirty minutes south of here) any other travel has been taken care of by my parents. So any information or ideas at all would be greatly helpful.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-25-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Good Neighbor Policy

Default Round About Akron

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Sorry, but we simply don't believe in boring places around here, or around Akron for that matter. Bored is a state of mind, so if you find a place boring, it's because of your attitude and not necessarily the place itself. Within just a few hours of Akron you've got a national park the Halls of Fame for football and Rock 'n Roll, a classic amusement park, as well as historic and scenic highways. Really, what's to be bored about?

AZBuck

3. Default

I agree with what you're saying about attitude and state of mind, but the park rangers and sheriffs around here are (expletive deleted) about the parks. Me and a couple friends tried camping in Sand Run Metropark and we were booted out. As for Cuyahoga Valley, Cedar Point, and the Football Hall - I've been to Cedar Point more times than I can count, the Football Hall doesn't really change after the first couple times going through, and I go through the valley about two or three times a month.

On top of all that, every mentioned landmark is in the middle of a city, which is exactly what Akron is and precisely what I need to get away from for about a week. What I'm looking for is a quiet area and some nice landmarks or monuments (and preferably a lake) to make a weekend out of.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-25-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Good Neighbor Policy

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mistawac View Post
    As I think more and more about this I get really excited. I'm aiming at taking a tent and maybe one or two changes of clothes, a fishing pole and nothing else. I'm trying to get together ideas of really great, scenic areas where I can drive to and pitch camp for a night, but I do want to stay in Ohio. I'll drive several hundred miles if I need to - I need a vacation THAT bad. I just need ideas. And cost! How much does everyone think I should take with me? I'm thinking $200 should be plenty for what I plan to do.
    Is it realistic to pack a small tent on a motorcycle? A bivouac sac maybe. Is there a park with small cabins nearby? You can buy food at a local grocery store since you won't be able to carry it. $200 for such a short trip, especially given that you're driving something so fuel efficient, sounds do-able.

5. Default

I agree with what you're saying about attitude and state of mind, but the park rangers and sheriffs around here are (expletive deleted) about the parks. Me and a couple friends tried camping in Sand Run Metropark and we were booted out.
    I googled this park. It looks pretty nice, but I don't see a mention of a campground, nor do I see any overnight facilities on their map -- were you booted out for camping illegally? If so, the rangers don't deserve any expletives.

Default Look South

Me and a couple friends tried camping in Sand Run Metropark and we were booted out.
    I don't see any mention of camping facilities in that park, so I'd say that result should hardly have been unexpected.

Would a place such as Salt Fork Lake fit the bill? You could even take a random drive along the back roads in Ohio's Southeastern corner and find something to your liking.

You are within a day's drive to Lexington, KY, the Shenandoah Valley, Washington, DC, Chicago, and many other great places. You could head East along Lake Erie via US-20 and then up to Niagara Falls. There are roads near you that offer both the solitude you seek and the destinations you desire.

Since you mentioned your limited travel experience, do you think you'll be up to it? Taking that first long trip can be a daunting task. Fortunately, it gets easier with time. With that in mind, I would suggest sticking to the secondary roads, at least during those times of day when the Interstates would have heavy traffic flows. Do bring a cellphone with you and let somebody know where you will be and check in with them at least a couple of times.

Finally, try not to be so hard on the park rangers. I think that, given your previous experiences, that you may be on the defensive should one approach you, but there's no need to be. These are people that care about the job they do and are there to make your experience a pleasant one.