1. Default need help and suggestions for family road trip

hello! new here! (and with road trips as well)

i promised my parents an all expense paid trip as a christmas gift and well they wanted a road trip with the whole family. there'll be 4 of us "teens" (my brother and wife, me and my gf) and of course my parents.

they wanted to go in May and i'm really not too sure what to ask yet but here are some questions playing in my feeble mind right now:

1) we live in LA, California. planning on visiting AZ, NM, CO, UT and NV then back to CA. what's the most reasonable duration of the trip to enjoy these places?

2) driving time per day?

3) i was looking at 2 weeks really due to everyone's work schedules. crazy?

4) we could opt not to go to NV. still crazy?

maaan. i guess i do have a lot of questions. how about we got those answered first and we go from there? :D

thanks in advance, guys! hoping to hear inputs from everyone.

Default Group discussion.

Some gift ! [I'll have to show this to my kids] ;-)

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

1) we live in LA, California. planning on visiting AZ, NM, CO, UT and NV then back to CA. what's the most reasonable duration of the trip to enjoy these places?
    As a group you will need to sit down and discuss how long you want to spend on the road and how long sitting back and taking in the views and walking in the parks etc.

2) driving time per day?
    We generally recommend no more than 550 miles a day which is 9-10 hours on the road.
    However this is more a "business like" pace than tourist pace. It would mean short stops only for food and gas and there is so much to see and do around here.

3) i was looking at 2 weeks really due to every one's work schedules. crazy?
    As above really, what does the group think about being mostly on the go ?

You could make a nice loop from home which would look like this Home> Grand canyon>Monument valley [or head to NM, Taos perhaps]> Durango [Mesa Verde NP]>and up the Million dollar highway550 towards Montrose [Black canyon of the Gunnison] > Grand junction I-70/191 > Moab [Arches NP]> hanksville and scenic 12 to Bryce canyon and Zion.> start heading home [Vegas/ Death valley.]

It's doable but to take a more relaxed pace would be to forget NM and CO and go from M/V to Moab and cut out the middle bit.

Have a look around the forums and road trip planning pages, have a talk with your group and when you have an outline itinerary let us know and we could help you "fine tune2 it.