1. Default Suggestions for April road trip from NJ

My wife and I are planning a road trip during her school spring break (she's a teacher) April 11-20. We live in central NJ. She's pregnant, so we can't fly anywhere and she can't drink of course. We both love nature and would prefer to head south, but we are open to other options. Thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default My Choice for an East Coast Nature Trail

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I used to live in Delaware and Maryland and have recently taken a few RoadTrips on the east coast. With 10 days and a desire to see some nature, here's what I'd do. Keeping in mind that there are many, many National Wildlife Refuges along the coast, I'd start by heading down the Delmarva Peninsula, skipping the built up beach cities, but hitting Assateague, Chincoteague and some of the quaint towns of the Maryland Eastern Shore like Chestertown, Oxford, Vienna and the like. Cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to the Norfolk area and then continue down the Outer Banks of North Carolina. If your wife is up to it, take the ferry from Okracoke at the southern end of the Banks over to Cedar Island, Otherwise, double back through Manteo and come down US-17. A good ultimate destination for the southern terminus of this leg would be Charleston, SC, a very relaxed southern city with great walking tours, carriage rides and old plantations to stroll.

For the return trip head inland through Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC then follow the Appalachians northeastward along the Blue Ridge Parkway, enjoying the views, hikes and more lovely towns such as Lexington and Winchester. Finally, have a look at the back roads across northern Maryland that are part of that state's scenic byway program to get you back to New Jersey.

3. Default

Great suggestion!