1. Default From Chicago to LA to Seattle

Hello All. I need a vacation this year and after looking at airfares etc. for a fam of four am thinking that a road trip is the way to go for our West Coast excursion. I would like to travel within the 1st 2 weeks in June with my family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids (4 and 6 years and 1 coming))

We must visit family in both LA and WA on this trip and I would love ideas on a great route, family friendly lodging, activities, pit stops and more. The kids love to visit childrens museums, and stay in hotels and we are willing to pitch a tent at least 1 or 2 nights. (we will visit the big rat at Disney too) I love antique shops, quaint towns, good food affortable B and B's (kid friendly of course) the DH is pretty flexible but can stand a bit of MAN stuff too.

We want to begin our trip by going down to St Louis MO and return to Chicago by going through Minneapolis MN.

We will try to be as cost effective as possible but will splurge a bit when possible.

Am I nuts or can this trip be taken? Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks for your time. ls
    Last edited by Lori Sue; 02-23-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: forgot some info

Green County, Wisconsin

Default needs and realities

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

While its certainly possible to make a roadtrip out west in 2 weeks and it could be a great trip for your family, I do think you'll need to make some changes.

First of all, I don't think you can visit LA and Seattle and make it back to Chicago in a 2 week period without really rushing. Before you make any stops, you're looking at 5500 miles. That's at least 10 full days worth of driving, which would be a lot for a 14 day family trip. That also assumes all interstate driving, and doesn't include extra time for scenic drives, like a trip up the Pacific Coast Highway.

I will also say that B&Bs are rarely kid friendly establishments, many ban kids all together. I think you'd be much better off just looking for regular motels that have a pool, which can really be a simple highlight for many kids.

If you want to do a trip out west, you can do it in 2 weeks, but I would focus on either Seattle or LA as a destination, not both. (its easy to forget that both of these west coast destinations are about 1200 miles apart, roughly the distance from Chicago to Orlando) That will give you more time to enjoy yourself, make fun stops, and be able to spend a few days at your destination.

3. Default

thanks for the heads up. i will reevaluate this plan.