Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los angeles round trip taking in San fransico and Yosemite

Hi All

I am looking for advice for an 8 day trip
    We arrive LAX 22nd April
    Leave LAX 30th April.

We already have the first 3 nights hotel booked in LA. (wish i'd done 2 now)
    No other accommodation has been booked.
    We have a car booked and two places we want to visit are San Fransico and Yosemite.

I understand from reading other posts on this forum that some roads are closed this time of year and wondered what would be a good area to head for after Yosemite on our way back to LA.

22nd April: 25th April LA
    AM 25th leave LA for San Fransico stopping overnight somewhere nice max $100 per night.
    26 - 27th San Fransico, need good hotel max $100 per night.
    27th leave San fransico to Yosemite, need advice on good accommodation max 100$ per night.
    28th leave Yosemite and need advice on where to head.
    We need to be at LAX at 10am on 30th April for flight home.

Throughout the trip I would need internet access for work.

also would it be better to have sat nav from car hire conpany or bring own from UK.

Best wishes
    Brendan

Default looks good

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you're outline looks solid. The roads closed at Yosemite are part of Tioga Pass, which you would need if you wanted to cross the Sierra and head to Vegas, but it won't affect your trip to the Yosemite valley from San Francisco and to LA.

You might consider reversing your direction, as some people prefer taking the coastal highway from north to south, so they are on the same side of the road as the ocean and you don't have to cross traffic to stop at the turnouts.

I don't have specific recommendations for motels, but for San Francisco and Yosemite you may have to stay outside the city/park to find accomidations under $100. In SF you might stay out by the airport and at Yosemite you could look at towns like Mariposa and Oakhurst. I've stayed in both of those areas for less than $100.

Default Few More Minor Points

If you only want to spend two nights in Los Angeles rather than three, it is not at all too late to drop the third night. Although it can vary a bit from place to place, the general rule is that you can cancel a reservation fort no penalty as long as you give the hotel 24 hours notice. If all you want to do is drop the 3rd day of a stay, they should easily accommodate you. Michael is right that you'll have to probably stay outside Yosemite and San Francisco if you want a decent place within your budget constraints. In San Francisco, I'd look for accommodations near the rapid transit lines (BART) and not try to drive into the city. If you drive you'll waste time and money getting parking.

As to satellite navigation boxes, I've never used one on a RoadTrip (programmed them though) and don't really see the need. Renting one from your car hire company will be moderately expensive, about $10/day, and I'm not sure what extra data or card you'd need to buy for your own to include the road information for the United States. I've never (okay, rarely) gotten lost using nothing more than a good paper map. Internet access is becoming more prevalent at U.S. hotels and motels, either in your room or in the lobby or conference center. While on the road each day, good sources of a free 'fix' include coffee shops (e.g. Starbuck's) and local libraries.

AZBuck

Default A little more

Hi,

22nd April: 25th April LA
    AM 25th leave LA for San Fransico stopping overnight somewhere nice max $100 per night.
    26 - 27th San Fransico, need good hotel max $100 per night.
    27th leave San fransico to Yosemite, need advice on good accommodation max 100$ per night.
    You can get reasonable rate hotels along Lombard street in San Fran. The Buena vista Inn has underground parking that will be useful and it was clean with nice size rooms and a small roof terrace but fairly basic. We really liked the Best Western Grosvenor airport hotel, great value. It has a free shuttle bus to the the airport where you can get the Bart train, that Buck mentioned, downtown. It's a quick and easy well run system.

For Yosemite as already mentioned one of the nearby towns is your best bet. A little over your budget at $108 is the charming little Hotel Charlotte in Groveland and it offers free Internet connections.

28th leave Yosemite and need advice on where to head.
    I doubt you will want to leave to early as it is so wonderful but you might want to head into Sequoia NP on the Generals highway. A lovely drive to the Giants forest village and a walk around the Giant trees is memorable. You can visit the General Sherman tree and witness the largest living thing on earth.

5. Default

Thank you all for your valuble advice.

The LA hotel (LA Omni) was booked via an agent and can't be changed without penalty but I am considering leaving a day early anyway or use a day to visit San Diego.

A great idea of reversing the trip to go from north to south.
    That would mean:

Leave LA and head to Sequoia NP and on to Yosemite.
    1 night stay at Yosemite or nearby town
    2 nights in San Fransico
    one night stay somewhere between San Fransico and LA.

I think i will need to break the journey at/near Sequoia NP

Does this sound OK?

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...~0~0&encType=1

Thanks again
    Brendan

Default Sequoia NP

Yes, staying over in or around Sequoia makes sense. Although looking at your map you are heading along the Mineral king road and back out the same way.
    To go through the Giants forest you continue on 198 [Generals Highway] that exits the park near Fresno through Squaw Valley.
    You then head North on the 41 through Oakhurst into Yosemite.

7. Default Made my day

What a treat to find the Hotel Charlotte recommended here, thank you Dave, you made my day! Lynn

8. Default

Thanks again for the valuble advice.

I have booked 1 night at Sequoia - Wuksachi Lodge & Village 24th
    1 x night Hotel Charlotte 25th

That leaves me with 2 x nights in San Fransico 26th - 27th
    and then 2 days to get from San Fransico to LAX to fly home 10am on the 30th.

I was thinking of breaking the journey with an overnight stay at Morro Bay

Does this look OK (feasable)

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...~0~0&encType=1

Thanks
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by ivaninch View Post
    to LAX to fly home 10am on the 30th.

I was thinking of breaking the journey with an overnight stay at Morro Bay
    You are cutting that very fine!!

Keep in mind that you will be hitting LA at peak hour, and traffic can be very slow.

Morro Bay to LAX is many hours driving, you will be on unfamiliar roads, and there is always the chance of hold-ups caused by roadworks or 'accident up ahead'.

If this were me I would be staying that last night much, much closer to LAX.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    If this were me I would be staying that last night much, much closer to LAX.
    I would be leaving San Fransico on the 28th and staying in Morro Bay that night.

I intend to stay near the airport (LAX) on the night of the 29th to travel home 10am on the 30th.

Best wishes
    Brendan