Thread: Marge

Default Marge

My hubby & I are taking a month to drive from S. F. to New York where we have an apt. Would love any clues where and what to stop & investigate. Have travelled quite a lot east coast and west coast but not horizontally cross country! Been to many states but not the more northern ones i.e. Oregon, Montana, Wyoming
    We are coming from a 'wee' place called N. Ireland.
    Appreciate any help - we hope to travel in June 2009.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Possibilities are Literally Infinite

Céad Míle Fáilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

A month to cross America is actually quite a bit of time. You could easily make the drive in a week, so that leaves you with 3 weeks to explore and travel in something considerably less than a 'straight' line. So let me offer one very meandering path to let you see what's possible and get you thinking about some things that you might like to see and do. You could leave San Francisco and head for Yosemite National Park, then cross the Sierra Nevada Mountains over Tioga Pass and come down through Death Valley National Park to Las Vegas. Next up would be the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Arches National Park as you work your way mostly northward towards Yellowstone National Park. Next you could work your way westward across Wyoming and into South Dakota with stops at Devils Tower National Monument, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park. As you continue to work eastward, the main attractions will tend to be more great cities rather than scenic wonders, but not entirely. You should look at St, Louis, Washington and Philadelphia while also including Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah National Parks. As I say, that's just one possible itinerary. There are others, and other things to see on that general route, but you do only have a month.