Thread: NY to LA

Default NY to LA

I'll be relocating to LA in March, I have eight days and two friends to complete my road trip. I've done most of the prep work getting materials, AAA, cost of expenses etc. So now I'm interested in a route, I don't know the conditions of route 66 but I'd like to take interstates and highways that would run in the same direction. The grand canyon is our only must see which we'd like to do via Flagstaff, AZ other than that if we run across any other sites it'll be a pleasant surprise.

We have a gps system, but I know a road atlas will come in handy is there one that someone can reccomend?

Best Regards,
    Jennifer

Default Roads, Big and Otherwise

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The backbone of such a trip would be I-78/I-81/I-76/I-81/I-44/I-40. That's actually much simpler and more straightforward than it looks. I-44/I-40 follows the general alignment of the highway formerly known as US-66 which was decommissioned about 25 years ago. There are still bits and pieces of the old Mother Road out there with various designations, but you'll have to look for them. Another historic and scenic road that will be running parallel to your route is US-40, the old National Road.

My personal choice for a road atlas would be any large format Rand McNally product, but you can read reviews of several atlases here.

Default Second that

Buck's route is spot on for what you're looking for. You can pick up a Rand McNally at Target or Wal-Mart for around $5. The major part of your trip is rather straightforward, though I'm sure the GPS will come in handy once you reach LA.

Default Maps

Since you are a AAA member, why bother with an atlas.

At AAA you can get all your maps free. Once you have your route planned, go and get a map for every State through which you will be travelling, and a detailed map for every major urban centre through which you will be passing and / or staying.

Lifey who gets all her maps free at the AAA

Default Useful to a point

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Since you are a AAA member, why bother with an atlas.
    Because an atlas is fun to kick back with and to see where your next trip is going to be!

Thank you guys, I appreciate the advice especially since this trip is a big endevour. Along the route suggested does anyone know of any cities or sites that we should briefly explore? Just enough for quick photo ops or drive by's

I'll be sure to get stocked up on the AAA maps to guide us along.

Thanks again,

Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Because an atlas is fun to kick back with and to see where your next trip is going to be!
    Oh Tim, I heartily agree... I have one for each trip I have made... at the end of each day, I mark my atlas where I have driven...

But on the road, I find the atlas too unwieldy, and use only maps, which I can fold every which way.

Default Detour

By chance does anyone know how many hours it would be from Raleigh to New Orleans? Also, when on the road is it best to attempt to set goals or a location and have reserved a hotel ahead of time or treck as far as possible and make do with what we come upon?

Default Whither Goest Thou?

Detouring via Raleigh and New Orleans would add nearly 500 miles to the trip we've been discussing, and would take you completely away from the roads already recommended, Raleigh to New Orleans is 875 miles, so a modest 2 day drive, maybe a day and a half at a good pace. But I guess before we can offer any more specific advice on what to see along the way, we have to know where 'the way' is.

As far as making motel reservations vs. just getting a room at the end of the day, there is no right or best answer, only what suits you. Certainly there are enough motels along the major roads in America that you should be able to find something to meet your needs without too much trouble each evening as long as you don't let it get to the point where one exit with no service will push you past what is within your own comfort and safety zone for driving.

AZBuck