Default Philadelphia to Orlando....advice needed....please

Hello, I'm new here and need advice on a family roadtrip to Orlando. I have no idea where to start. It'll be me, my husband, mother in law, daughter 4, and son 4 months. All I know is what we're doing when we get there. The hotel is already paid for with our points, so we're just winging it down there with a coupla theme parks in between...but what about the ride down? This will be our first roadtrip of this length and we don't know what to do, what to see, or where to go on the way down. Advice please? What kinda budget should we be looking at, considering gas, food, and a few souvenirs here or there? We are very budget concious (sp?) so I'm looking to make our money stretch. I just don't have an idea yet.

Thanks

Default Decision Trees

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The beauty of RoadTrips is that they can be exactly what you want them to be. That also means they require a bit more thought than just following someone else's directions. The first thing you'll need to determine is how much time you'll have for the drive down. It's about a thousand miles from Philly to Orlando, so if you plan to drive there in two days, then you'll pretty much have to stick to I-95 all the way down, but there will still be places on the way for relaxing breaks. If you can add a day, then you can take time to explore a couple of the cities relatively near the highway such as Richmond, Savannah or St. Augustine. Add another day and you can take some decidedly different routes such as traveling down the spine of the Appalachians or along the coast, even going 'out to sea' on the Outer Banks.

You're probably looking at about $100 in gas one way, plus some more if you wander off I-95 very far. You can also expect to spend around $150 per night for two motel rooms to give everyone enough room. What you spend on food will depend on your eating habits, from eating fruits and sandwiches from a cooler to dining out at family style restaurants.

Once you've got those basic decisions made, then you can start to look at what's available for specific stops that satisfy your own interests and those of your family. And don't forget that you get to do it all over, but perhaps differently, on the way back.

AZBuck

Thanks a lot. Yeah, a cooler is a great idea and a huge budget saver so I know that's what we plan to take. It just seems so overwhelming but I'm totally excited! Our check in date for our resort is the 24th of May so we were thinking of leaving reaaaaally early (like 3am) on the 22nd or late night on the 21st (like 11pm). We want to stop a few places, but quickly so we can get to Orlando as fast as possible. We weren't going to make any extended stops until we're on our way back home.

Default Driving from PA to FL. What are checkpoints?

I was talking to my aunt recently about my upcoming trip and since it'll be my first time driving down there, she was giving me advice. She mentioned something about her hearing there could be checkpoints (or roadblocks) that are set up by police to check licenses or sobriety? I've never heard about these before, but neither is a problem for me (one, I don't drink and two, my license is valid). She was just telling me not to be nervous or anything if i come across one 'cause they'll most likely just want to make sure my license is valid. So, I've never heard of this before. What can I expect? I've never had to go through one of these before. I looked it up on the internet and I read somewhere that that could request that you get out of the car?!! What is this about? I don't want my daughter getting nervous about anything because to her police always mean somebody's in trouble.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-28-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip

5. Default

Welcome to Great American Roadtrip!

What part of PA are you starting at, and what part of FL are you ending at?

Default surprise inspections

While police can do sobriety checkpoints, they certainly don't advertise their locations in advance. Advertising that you're going to be stopping people looking for drunk drivers at a specific location at a specific time wouldn't make it a very effective practice.

While you will see police do this from time to time, I can't think of any time of seen this on an interstate highway. it doesn't mean they couldn't do it, but it would be pretty rare. The only exception would be border patrol checkpoints, which are fairly common even along interstates in the southwest, but that's certainly not going to apply here.

As you've said, if the driver is obeying the law, then a checkpoint is a minor delay and shouldn't cause any problems.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sweetea View Post
    She mentioned something about her hearing there could be checkpoints (or roadblocks) that are set up by police to check licenses or sobriety? . . . What can I expect? I've never had to go through one of these before.
    I've NEVER been through a sobriety check on any interstate highway. It would be a recipe for wrecks.

We do have local sobriety checks here during prom season -- lots of them -- and since I usually end up chaperoning the prom I've run through those a couple times. The police have a trick that works well: they hold their long flashlights in their armpit, which frees up both hands to take your license. It also makes it very easy for them to hit you in the face with the light (and make it appear to be an accident since they aren't using their hands). They're really looking to see how your eyes react to the light. Most people zoom right on through those check points.

IF your license was expired, or IF the officer had reason to think you'd been drinking, they'd have you pull over to another area off the road (so they could keep everyone else moving), and they'd give you the in-depth investigation, which COULD involve getting out of your car. But that would only happen if they smelled liquor on you, if they saw something suspicious in your car (like an open can), or if you didn't cooperate by showing your license. People who are obeying the law zip right through these things and have nothing to fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    While police can do sobriety checkpoints, they certainly don't advertise their locations in advance. Advertising that you're going to be stopping people looking for drunk drivers at a specific location at a specific time wouldn't make it a very effective practice.
    They do advertise it here -- exact locations! -- and they still catch people! Seriously, they'll say things like, "Police will be searching for drinking drivers in the University Area Friday and Saturday night." They catch drunk drivers, people with expired licenses or no inspection stickers, and people with warrants for their arrest. We've laughed about it lots of times; it's hard to believe people are that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by froman View Post
    Welcome to Great American Roadtrip!

What part of PA are you starting at, and what part of FL are you ending at?
    We're driving from Abington, PA to Orlando, FL.