Default 3 midlife crisis men seeking ideas for US road trip

Hi all
    I have just found this site and will take some time to learn what I can but if someone can start me off I would appreciate it.
    I have managed to persuade 2 of my friends to 'do' some form of road trip in the US next summer, 2010. We have all just turned 40, are all English and have very flexible partners! We have 4 weeks, plenty of money but no idea what to expect. We originally were going to do route 66 but are now contemplating NY to LA. We have just spent the weekend discussing it, one wanted to go on Harley Davidsons, I wanted to do it in a soft top car and stay in motels and the third wants to do it in an RV. The RV seems to have won the day although not definitely but I will start investigating prices soon.

Some basic questions: Which way should we do, East - West seems to be most popular? Does anyone think an RV is the wrong thing to do? My worry is that parking for RVs near towns will be too far from the centres? We have to do Aug as one of us is a teacher. Is this a good month to go? I am sure I will have loads more questions but don't want to be greedy.

Default Personal choice

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Which way should we do, East - West seems to be most popular?
    Well this is the way the first explorers from Europe done it. ;-)
    Other than that it shouldn't make a lot of difference, although the Southwest would be a memorable place to finish, the landscapes can be like nothing we see here in good old blighty !

Does anyone think an RV is the wrong thing to do?
    It really is a lifestyle choice and it's what's right for you that matters. I love travelling by RV but with three of you I doubt it will be the economic choice.

We have to do Aug as one of us is a teacher. Is this a good month to go
    If that's your only choice it's as good as it gets ! Lol. If you plan on staying in or around popular National parks you will need to consider reservations as it is a busy time for visitors.

Have a good look around the forums and road trip planning pages and as you have more questions let us know.