Default Las Vegas to Cali Coast

Hello All-

My fiance and I will be getting married May 16th in Las Vegas. We are from NY so we are going to be joined by some friends and family for a few days in Vegas.

We will be renting a convertible and setting off on a honeymoon on Sun, May 17 from Vegas towards the California coast. Our flight home will leave Las Vegas on Sun, May 24 so we have about a week to do our road trip honeymoon.

Our original thought was to leave Vegas Sunday and drive to San Francisco all in one shot. Then travel down the coast, driving a few hours each day and staying in a different coastal town each day. Our thought was to end up in San Diego on Friday and have 2 days there. Then head back to Vegas for our flight on Sunday.

Is there any suggestions anyone might have for us? We've done some internet research but were hoping to get a feel for things from people familiar with the area.

Hint, we enjoy food & alcohol very much!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R & M

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a better start

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This basic route is very popular, and the subject of hundreds of posts on this forum.

Personally, I wouldn't drive to San Francisco in one shot the day after your wedding. First, after all of the fun, excitement, and stress of a wedding, there is something to be said for having a fairly relaxing start to your honeymoon. Its a full day drive to SF, and not the kind of relaxing start I would look for. But more importantly, if you drive there in one day, you'll have to skip places like Death Valley and Yosemite, which are a great part of the drive between SF and Vegas. Even if you broke this drive up into 2 or 3 days, you'd still have a nice amount of time to explore the coast.

South of England.

Default Congratulations !

Welcome to R.T.A and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I agree with Michael's opinion and would at least do the detour across Death Valley and stop overnight on the way.
    Just one point, if you decided to visit Yosemite on the way, the popular route from D/V would be to go over the Tioga pass [hwy120] which is a fantastic drive, but there is a risk it will still be closed in mid May due to snow so you would need to check it out before leaving. If it was closed you would have to go South through Bakersfield.
    These are the recent Opening and closing dates for the pass.