1. Default West to East Road Trip

My partner and I are planning a road trip travelling from the West to East coast over a 3 week period. The places we would like to see are:
    Los Angeles, Tijuana, Dallas, Memphis, Washington, Pittsburgh, Niagra Falls, Philadelphia, Atlantic City and New York.

We will be traveling mid march to early april.

Any help given on the best routes to take and places of interest would be greatly appreciated, ideally not taking all highway routes.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Is this going to be a one way trip, or a round trip?
    Do you have your passport to be able to return from your trip into Tijuana, Mexico?
    You have an idea of what places you want to see - what led you to pick those locations? Do you have any specific interests that led you to those places? What kind of things are you interested in?

3. Default West to East Coast USA Roadtrip

We are coming from England UK so there is no problem with the passport. We have no set agenda, the places we picked to visit are just really the major tourist attractions.
    It is a one way trip, picking up the 4x4 in Los Angeles and dropping it off in New York, and if possible we didn't want to drive on all main interstate roads as we wanted to see some scenic routes.

Any help or advise on this would be great.

Default Some thoughts

You could do a route such as follows:

Travel from Los Angeles to Tijuana.
    Tijuana to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. From there, head North to Grand Canyon.
    From here you can either head North into Utah and pretty much pick any place to head and you're guaranteed to see something spectacular, or head East to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.
    Are these the types of places you'd like to see? This should create at least a section of trip that meets your criteria of being scenic and not being all on the Interstates.

5. Default

Tastes differ, of course. But I would suggest San Antonio/Austin (Texas) instead of Dallas (or Houston). There's plenty to do and see in Dallas and Houston, but they have less personality than San Antonio/Austin, in my view. I like all four cities for various reasons, but I would think that non-Americans would prefer to see American cities with more personality and history, rather than just sprawling metropolises.

I'd suggest Las Vegas over Atlantic City. There's nothing quite like Vegas, and Atlantic City is dumpy and forgettable by comparison. Of course, Atlantic City has the ocean and boardwalk, but the Atlantic is pretty dull there, especially compared with the Pacific, which you can see in Los Angeles.

San Francisco is very much worth seeing if you have time and inclination.

You might also consider dropping off your rental car in Washington, D.C., rather than New York. New York and D.C. are much more convenient by subway than car (parking is limited and expensive). And Amtrak between D.C. and New York is affordable and quick. That would save you the time of driving between those cities and dealing with nightmarish traffic.

6. Default

By the way, you might want to verify this because it's been a while since I checked, but U.S. car rental companies typically do not allow their cars into Mexico because of insurance reasons (high theft rate, for instance). So if you go from the U.S. to Tijuana, you might have to park at the border and walk over.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vegas08 View Post
    By the way, you might want to verify this because it's been a while since I checked, but U.S. car rental companies typically do not allow their cars into Mexico because of insurance reasons (high theft rate, for instance). So if you go from the U.S. to Tijuana, you might have to park at the border and walk over.
    Hi,

Thankyou for your great ideas, but last year we went to San Francisco and Las Vegas and although I think they are great places to visit I really want to see some other places in America before returning back there.
    When we visit Tijuana we will be parking at the border and walking over.
    I really like the idea of going to a city with alot of personality so I think I will look into going to San Antonio.
    I have read on the internet that West Virginia is very scenic, is this somewhere you would recommend driving through?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    You could do a route such as follows:

Travel from Los Angeles to Tijuana.
    Tijuana to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. From there, head North to Grand Canyon.
    From here you can either head North into Utah and pretty much pick any place to head and you're guaranteed to see something spectacular, or head East to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.
    Are these the types of places you'd like to see? This should create at least a section of trip that meets your criteria of being scenic and not being all on the Interstates.
    Hi,

Thankyou for your ideas, we went to the Grand Canyon last year and we would like to see some other places first before returning back. One place we definately would like to see is memphis/graceland and we are visiting a friend in Texas, so the first part of the journey needs to stay in the lower area of the country.