1. Default denver to grand teton and yellowstone

My friends and I will be taking a trip in June starting in Denver and traveling to grand teton and yellowstone. I was wondering what are the best routes and also best sightseeing and hiking areas. We will be doing only backpacking. Areas of interest Rocky Mountain Natl Park and areas on the way. We are looking for trails that involve Moutains/peaks and also wildlife.

Thanks for you insight

Default The Winds

Hi Jake,

The Wind River Range is right on the way and can be accessed from either US 287/US 26 (Lander and Dubois, WY area) or US 191 from Pinedale, WY. I've never entered the Winds except from Dubois. We were headed to Gannett Peak in 1976 with plans to summit Wyoming's highest peak. The trail in from the Dubois area is around 20 miles to Gannett and starts with a steep climb over a pass to Goat Flat. That pretty much did us in--3,000' elevation gain from 7,500' to 10,500' on top of having just arrived straight through 40-some hours from North Carolina = a very slow start. Even though it was August, we encountered snow as we hiked in, so long story short, we stopped by some lakes and hung out for a few days, summiting a number of smaller peaks in that area.

A year or two later, some of the same group of geology students entered the Winds from the Pinedale side and reported a delightful, if long, walk up the Wind River valley to the vicinity of Gannett. It's a lot better route than the "instant steep uphill" route we did in '76.