1. Default Safe Driving From LA to NYC?

We are moving from Los Angeles to New York and we would like to get there as fast as possible. Does anyone know of a quick, direct route to get across the country? This trip will be going on towards the end of winter, so we would to avoid Colorado, Utah and all the mountain filled snow states. We are also weary of driving through unknown areas possibly late a night. Also, would anyone recommend driving at night to safe time? If at all possible I'd like to know if there is a direct route that consists of driving through only major interstates? We are planning on stopping 2 nights to rest, preferably a decent sized city. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

2. Default Another Question??

Does anyone think it is possible to drive this distance without stopping to rest? How many drivers would be needed?

Default No chance !

Quote Originally Posted by sn0w_peas View Post
    Does anyone think it is possible to drive this distance without stopping to rest? How many drivers would be needed?
    There were 2 chances, slim and none but slims just left town ;-)

Welcome to the R.T.A forums.

No matter how many drivers you have it cannot be done in a car without stopping, no way no how.

Going through Columbus, St Louis, and Oklahoma onto I-40 is around 2800 miles. We recommend driving up to 550 miles a day which is equal to 9 or 10 hours per day on the road making it a 5 day journey. With multiple drivers you could possibly cover 700 miles a day and do your trip in 4 days but no less. 3 days would equal nearly 1000 miles a day and over 17 hours of driving with short stops for food, gas and bio breaks. Do that for a day and you will be exhausted on your second day and could become a danger. Third day if you managed to get going it could become suicidal, don't do it.
    You can never get proper rest in a moving car and your rests while on the move would be nothing more than a catnap and even with three people if two nod off from exhaustion and leave the driver to fiend for himself, who know's the outcome. Don't risk it !

Take a min 4 days and enjoy the ride, have a safe journey.

Default impossibilities

This trip will be going on towards the end of winter, so we would to avoid Colorado, Utah and all the mountain filled snow states.
    You can avoid Colorado and Utah, but since Arizona and New Mexico are also "Mountain Filled Snow States" you can't avoid the possibility of seeing winter weather. Every single cross country route in the US goes through areas that see snow, there is just no magic route to get around it.

Also, would anyone recommend driving at night to safe time?
    Not really. The biggest problem is that there are very few people whose bodies are adjusted to being up throughout the night. Once it is dark, your body starts preparing to sleep, and thus you can't be as alert. If you live a normal life (basically, anyone other than a overnight shift worker), you'd be dealing with basically a jetlag like situation where your body isn't getting enough rest. There is also the simple fact that you can't see as well or as far with headlights as with sunlight, that makes other potential problems, like wildlife, a bigger problem a night.

If at all possible I'd like to know if there is a direct route that consists of driving through only major interstates?
    That's exactly what the interstate system is designed to do. There are three basic routes that are shortest between LA and NYC. I-40 to I-44 to I-70, as Dave suggested, I-15 to I-70 (to I-76 to I-80), or I-15 to I-80. All 3 of those options are basically the same distance. The second two options do go through Utah, but as was mentioned, latitude doesn't mean as much as the specific weather forecast for the time you are leaving.

We are planning on stopping 2 nights to rest, preferably a decent sized city.
    Unless you've got 3 drivers (no more no less), with lots of experience in long distance driving and driving in shifts, this would be an extremely dangerous plan. While there is nothing wrong with your questions, they lead me to believe that you are a novice at cross country driving. Trying to drive a distance like this straight through/in 3 days without having experience and knowing your personal limits and abilities would be, as Dave accurately described it, suicidal. Although I might actually say it is homicidal, as you'd also be putting everyone else on the road in an extreme amount of danger. Even doing this over 4 days will be a test of your abilities, do not try to push it beyond that.

5. Default

If you're not reasonably experienced at driving through the night, it won't happen.

If you were to drive four shifts of 4 hours a day at the speed limit with ONLY two 30 minute breaks for fuel/grab food/use restrooms/etc, you can drive between 720-900 miles in a day.

But that's only if traffic doesn't impede you, you miss every rush hour, and you all can handle staying in a car for four hours non-stop. Highly unlikely.

Odds are, you'll top out at 600-700 miles in a day.

As for stopping, any exit with a hotel would be good. This isn't Kabul. Unless you go into the downtown of any major city looking for a hotel, finding lodging will not be a problem anywhere in the country during any time of year.

Sykotyk

I'm going to plan your trip for you, and it will take 4 days. You will get on the road by 8am, and you will be off the road by 10pm. You lose an hour each day due to time zone change.

Day 1 - Leave LA on I-210 to I-15 to I-40. Spend the night around Albuquerque, NM.
    Day 2 - I-40 to I-44, spend the night around Tulsa, OK.
    Day 3 - I-44 to I-70, spend the night in Richmond, IN.
    Day 3 - I-70 to I-71 to I-76 to I-80 to NYC.

This is 700 miles a day, the farthest I would recommend anyone drive in a day, regardless of the number of drivers. With respect to Albuquerque and Tulsa, I highly recommend you find a hotel on the Interstate outside the city itself. It would probably be best getting one after you go through the city, so you don't get caught in the inbound morning rush hour the next morning.

Major city avoidance:

1. OKC - take the Kilpatrick Turnpike around OKC, it turns into I-44.
    2. Tulsa - Stay on I-44.
    3. STL - take I-270 north, it will take you around to I-70 - unless you hit it between 2 and 7pm local. If that's the case, take I-255 instead around the other side of the city to I-55/70.
    4. IND - take I-465 south.
    5. Columbus - take I-270 north to I-71.

7. Default Thanks!

hey, everyone, thanks for the advice. We actually have never driven across the country, and we would like to save as much time and money as possible. hence the no stopping rule to avoid motel costs. I have checked the 15, 40, 70 route and it seems pretty direct. Also, I know this may put a damper on things, but we would be traveling with a small dog. I know, I know!! I am a novice! If anyone thinks it's not a good idea feel free to let me know. Or if anyone has suggestions for me I'd greatly appraciate it!

Thanks again!

Default As has been said

It has been said by many people now that trying to do this trip without stopping is not a good idea, its beyond a bad one. Throw in the fact that you'll be traveling with a dog and you only make the situation worse. You are setting yourself up for not only a miserable time, but a trip that will endanger the lives of those with whom you will be sharing the road. Sleep is not an optional thing for safe roadtrips, please don't treat it as such.

The only thing the dog adds to the mix is finding "pet-friendly" hotels. Some advance planning will be needed.