Thread: Need a cooler

1. Default Need a cooler

We're doing a fly-and-drive trip this summer, and we definitely need a cooler for sandwiches, drinks, etc.

Please settle an argument between my husband and me: We have a mid-sized cooler on wheels, which is the perfect size for our family. Is it better to

Duct-tape the handle and the lid; pack the kitchen knives, etc. inside; and check it as luggage on the airplane. We will not check any other luggage, so this would be $15, and we could pack it with 50 pounds of stuff. We could include our toiletries in the cooler, which would eliminate problems with the 3-ounces of liquid rules.

OR
    Package it up and mail it via UPS to the hotel where we'll be staying on our arrival night. The positive here is that we wouldn't have any checked baggage on the plane, which is something we like. I suspect this would cost more than $15, and it means we'd have to trust UPS to get it there and the hotel to store it. Of course, it also means that we wouldn't have to worry about the airline loosing it.

Default A better option

Actually, what I would do is use a third option -- "Luggage Forwarding" -- It's the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Here are some more tips about Fly and Drive road trips....

Mark

No problem with checking it - I jut did the same myself - but the airline may make you sign a limited liability agreement wich may limit their liability if they lose or damage it so, if you can, duct tape the contents in and then stick it inside a bag...

Why not just buy a cheap cooler when you get there and give it away when you are done with it?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Actually, what I would do is use a third option -- "Luggage Forwarding"
    I looked into that option -- the concept is great -- but the cost was outrageous! Assuming my cooler is a "medium bag", they want $102 to get it there and $89 to get it back -- and that's the cheapest option, assuming I send it out days in advance. I have a $50 off first-time use of that service, but I don't think I'll be using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    No problem with checking it - I jut did the same myself - but the airline may make you sign a limited liability agreement wich may limit their liability if they lose or damage it so, if you can, duct tape the contents in and then stick it inside a bag...
    Duct taping the contents inside is a good plan. I do love the two knives I want to take, and they'd be easy to duct tape to the inside of the lid.
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Why not just buy a cheap cooler when you get there and give it away when you are done with it?
    That does make sense for simplicity, but a mid-sized cooler on wheels (I do want the wheels) runs $25-30, and I can check or mail the one I already have for $15 tops. Also, I'd need to buy knives when I get there, which would be wasteful since I already own them here at home.

I'm a CPA's daughter, and I'm pretty tight with a dollar.

Thanks for the advice, all!

6. Default Isn't it $15 each way to check it?

Isn't it $15 each way to check the cooler on the airline?

You can mail the knives ahead through regular USPS for a few dollars, buy a cooler when you get there for $30 and return it/sell it/give it away and come out ahead of checking it both ways with the airline, plusw the time savings of checking and recovering it twice.

Just a thought....you might have some trouble returning it but even giving it away you would still come out about the same.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by marc7976708 View Post
    Isn't it $15 each way to check the cooler on the airline?

You can mail the knives ahead through regular USPS for a few dollars, buy a cooler when you get there for $30 and return it/sell it/give it away and come out ahead of checking it both ways with the airline, plusw the time savings of checking and recovering it twice.

Just a thought....you might have some trouble returning it but even giving it away you would still come out about the same.
    You know, as obvious as it is, I forgot that the cooler'd cost $15 to check on the way home -- I was thinking of it as a $15 total investment to get MY cooler there. That DOES bring us up to the cost of buying a cooler. I can't believe I missed that detail. Thanks.