1. Default Roadtrip from Vegas

My girlfriend and I are flying into Vegas in late-February and flying out of Phoenix in early-March. We are spending two nights in Vegas and planning on spending the last night of the trip in Phoenix. Beside the time spend in Vegas we have Eight days to drive around the Southwest. We're fine with showing up in Phoenix very late on the last day--only so we have a place to stay near the airport.

The problem, we can't decide on a route. It's either Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Utah/Moab/Monument Valley, Northern Arizona. Or, it's drive to California, head south on the Coast, maybe hit Tijuana, then up through Southern Arizona to Phoenix by way of Tucson.

We're looking for a healthy mix of breathtaking views, scenic drives, relics of Americana, and really strange attractions.

I know it's all a matter of preference, but who has opinions either way? We'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance.

South of England.

Default My choice would be.....

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

It is about preferences and mine would be to head for Grand canyon,M/V and the parks of Utah such as Zion and Bryce Canyon.
    From Vegas head up I-15 through St George to Zion and onto Bryce. Continue along scenic byway 12 to Hanksville and onto Moab and Arches. You could head through Mexican hat to M/V and onto the South rim through the East entrance on the 64 [Desert view drive] which has many viewpoints of the canyon along the way.
    Leave by the South entrance and head through Sedona and Red rock country on the way to Phoenix. If you wanted to see the Hoover dam you could head to G/C first and then up through Page to Zion and Bryce. Mind boggling scenery throughout !

If you have more questions when you have decided, let us know.

Joplin MO

Tijuana is not safe for tourism right now. The drug cartel is at war with the police.

4. Default

So, I'm bumping this thread for a few suggestions. We've finalized most of our trip. Here's the itinerary: Two days in Vegas then to Joshua Tree to Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley, spending basically a night in each spot. More or less it seems like we'll be doing 3 to 5 hour drives each day, which we're really excited about. This is Road Trip America after all. But here's the ambitious move––we're thinking about driving from Monument Valley down to Bisbee, AZ via US 191. Google maps says that it's a 12 hour trip. Does anyone have any experience with this trip? Are we biting off more than we can chew in a day? Let us Swamp-yankee's know, and we'll help you with all of your Southeastern New England and Rhode Island roadtrip needs.

South of England.

Default An option.

Is there a reason for taking the 191? With 12 hours plus you won't have time for detours and it would be quicker going to the 89 and I-17/I-10 through Phoenix and Tucson according to my mapping program. It could be done in under 10 hours this way.

I guess it all depends on what your goal is to do the trip to start with.