Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abandonments!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Abandonments!

Hi,
    I will be relocating from Quebec City to Arizona in May for a 3-month period. Since this is a perfect opportunity to take a road trip, flying is definitely out of the question.:)

As some of you already know, I'm an amateur photographer and a sucker for abandonments. Mostly, I like to photograph them and do some research on their historical background. I'm hoping some of you can help me find some goodies to photograph along the way. I haven't planned out a route yet and I probably won't so feel free to post anything that comes into your mind and is located more or less between Quebec and Phoenix: old grain elevators, tunnels, factories, ghost towns (no tourist traps please), mines, old hospitals, schools, amusement parks, boats, old adobe houses, etc. Chances are, I'll "plan" my itinerary accordingly.

Thanks a million!
    Gen

Note: I'm already aware of the "danger levels" associated with certain cities but it doesn't bug me, so if you know of a specific location in "one of those cities", please share!:)

Gen,
    I would check out flickr.com to see where people have shot.
    I really like Troy Paiva's work.

Also check out forums for urban exploration.

I enjoy shooting old stuff too, but nothing extreme.

Recently shot at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, CA, really an awesome
    location.

Maybe there are decommissioned military bases on route.

Photo from Mare Island:

Default Wow! Capture of light

Wow, I really love the capture of light in that photo. Excellent, excellent work

Thanks Mark. Mare Island has some great light.

Gen, one place I've stopped at alon I-40 in AZ is the Twin Arrows Cafe.
    Not much left there.

Your thread made me break out a book about Route 66 through Arizona
    and there were a few places listed that looked interesting. I have no
    experience visiting these places.

Valentine Arizona
    Crozier Canyon
    Hackberry General Store
    Cool Springs
    Oatman

I'm certain there is more out there, but it may be through word of mouth
    rather than published.

Alvin

Default At the Opposite Extreme

If you take US-54 or any similar highway across the Great Plains, you'll see many small towns that have clearly seen better days. This is one result of the fact that farming is becoming big business, the small family farms are being gobbled up by 10,000 acre spreads, and the families that supported those towns are leaving the land. I mention US-54 in particular, because I have driven it and it is, in general, an example of what I mention. But at the other end of the spectrum is the town of Greensburg, KS which a year or two ago experienced a severe tornado which essentially destroyed the town completely. While there might be a few old abandoned buildings still left, the town is well on its way to completely rebuilding itself. Its objective in doing so was to build a 'green' city that could serve as a model for other towns on the plains. I last was in Greensburg (home to the world's biggest hand dug well) before the tornado and would love to get back and see how they're doing.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-12-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Link Added

I don't have any specifics that come to mind, but what about doing the Route 66 run?

Default Roadside Marvels

Several of the RTA roadside marvels are located in areas that could fit that criteria. Here is a mural location in Tucson that certainly qualifies....

Mark

Default Keep 'em coming!

@ Roadie : thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. I am very familiar with urbex websites as well as the flickr's urbex community (including Troy Paiva's work) but I realized recently that most of the best locations I shot were actually recommended by non members (friends, family, classmates, former teachers). Congrats on the picture BTW, nice lines! Here are a few of my own (2005-2008 - no PS except for the drain):

@AZBuck: I read one of your posts regarding that town the other day, and I thought it might be a perfect place to stop en route. I'll send you some pics! Thanks.

@glc: I've already been on a few stretches of the Mother Road, but I'd like to explore it a but further...:)

Does anyone know of places in rural Texas? I love photographing the old adobe ruins in that area. I stopped in Valentine on my way to Big Bend a couple of years ago and it made quite an impression on me. So did Van Horn.

Thanks again!
    Gen

Default Great photos -- Very cool

Does anyone know of places in rural Texas? I love photographing the old adobe ruins in that area.
    Gen, This site is ideal for locating some of those Texan gems -- And in particular, I like to use their Ghost Town listings.... (They have documented 494 such Texan Ghost towns to date)

Mark

Default Ghost towns

@Mark : Thanks for the websites recommendation, I'll certainly find a couple of interesting places with that! Don't you have any abandonments in the LV area?