1. Default Help with roads for a car sick traveler

Hello,

My husband and I are moving from Northern Arizona to San Luis Obispo in two weeks. I just did a yahoo maps driving directions for this trip since we usually go to Orange County first to see my mom then up to San Luis. This time we just want to drive straight there.

My problem is I get car sick. I use the Sea bands which help greatly but I can't stand winding roads. Can you please give me your opinions on this route:

I-40 W to I-15 S to CA-58 W to CA-99 S to CA-166 W

I have traveled on I-40 with no problems, and I-15 with no problems. I've never been on CA-58, CA-99 or CA-166 that I can remember while my hubby does all the driving.

Thank you very much!
    God Bless
    Karen.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I'm not familiar with those CA routes other than from Google maps. CA-58 appears to be relatively straight, as does CA-99. CA-166 will most likely be the road that will give you some issues, though it appears that the worst portion has been superseded by "New Highway 166" in Los Padres National Forest.

I can certainly understand how you feel. I don't normally get car sick, but driving through the mountains of Appalachia in a pickup a few years ago really got to me.

Have you considered CA-58 West to US-101?

3. Default

166 would be a problem. US 101 would be better.

I drove 166 once, and it is windy.

Sykotyk

Default alternates

CA-58 from Barstow to Bakersfield is a 4 lane near interstate quality road, as is CA-99. While they both go into the mountains, you shouldn't have any problems with them.

I have not driven CA-166 myself, however it is not the route I would recommend here to cross the coastal range regardless.

Instead I would go north on CA-99 at Bakersfield and take CA-46 to Paso Robles, and then back south on US-101. This is a very mild route that you shouldn't give you any problems, and its actually a bit shorter than CA-166. I had a tire blow out on this road once, and had to drive about 40 miles to Paso Robles on a donut, and it was still and easy trip.

Have you considered CA-58 West to US-101?
    Actually, I would strongly advise against this option. You wouldn't have any problems through Bakersfield and out to I-5, however the road between Buttonwillow/I-5 and SLO is extremely curvy. The only time I've driven it my wife got sick - and she doesn't get car sick often. CA-41 between CA-46 and US-101 at Atascadero is also a pretty curvy road, so I wouldn't use it as a shortcut.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Instead I would go north on CA-99 at Bakersfield and take CA-46 to Paso Robles, and then back south on US-101. This is a very mild route that you shouldn't give you any problems, and its actually a bit shorter than CA-166. I had a tire blow out on this road once, and had to drive about 40 miles to Paso Robles on a donut, and it was still and easy trip.
    How do I go North on CA-99 when my printed directions say to go South on the CA-99? I'm lousy at directions. If I'm on the CA-58 West, the next step in the printed directions says "take exit 110A/Los Angeles onto CA-99 South and go 20.84 miles...then goes to CA-166 W. If I skip the 166 which sounds very good to me - when do I get to CA-46?

Sorry for my confusion...

Default learning the road

Well, I'm a firm believer that before anyone heads out on the road they should be able to read a paper map. Online driving directions are helpful to a point, but if you can't read a regular map, you can run into some real problems if you make a mistake, take a wrong turn, or run into some road construction. Being held hostage by a computer program/printout is just no way to travel.

If you really want some extra help, I'd use the click and drag feature on google maps or most other mapping programs. CA-46 intersects with CA-99 about 20 miles north of Bakersfield. But again, I'd strongly recommend that you start simply by looking at a map and get a feel for where it is that you will be traveling.

Default Write New Directions!

This is just one problem with GPS and on-line mapping software. If you use them exclusively, you are a slave to the whims of whoever programmed them. They have no idea of your interests or special needs. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to change things. Basically to go south on CA-99 instead of north, you would turn left instead of right when you get to it. IThat's pretty much it. So let's get you some better directions that keep you on the straight and level. The following is just a slightly more detailed description of the route that Michael suggested.

Leave northern Arizona on I-40 west, continue to I-15

Take I-15 south for just 2-3 miles

Take exit 179 for CA-58 west, continue for 158 miles, including a short section on CA-99 north where CA-58 shares alignment with it

Take I-5 north for 20 miles

Take CA-46 west for 63 miles

Take US-101 south for 29 miles to San Luis Obispo

And there you are. But Michael is also absolutely right that you'll have to at least get comfortable with reading paper maps if you want to be able to plan your own routes that meet your needs.

AZBuck

8. Default

I could read a map but we'd have to pull over and stop every time I needed to look at it. I can't do any kind of reading/navigating without feeling quezy.

I tried 5 different online map searches and 3 of them said I-15 to 210 to 134 to 101. Two said the route I mentioned earlier with the 166. It's hard to play with adjusting the route since I have no idea what the road actually is with not wanting to get car sick.

Thank you for your replies.

Default getting beyond fear

Quote Originally Posted by fetchen View Post
    I could read a map but we'd have to pull over and stop every time I needed to look at it. I can't do any kind of reading/navigating without feeling quezy
    I understand that you don't want to try to read a map while you are driving, but that doesn't mean you can't use one to plan your own trip!

Sometimes people become so fearful of things, that they let that fear keep them from accomplishing things they could otherwise do, and I have a feeling that's hurting you here.

Sit down with a map before you leave, and you'll be able to see what your options are, and see what is in front of you that isn't being spoonfed by a faceless computer program. Then you can then see what the computer recommendations are, and what other options you might have.

Once you see what you are doing yourself, you can write down your own direction to make it easier, or you can even manually manipulate a computer program to take the route you've designed. Knowing where it is you have decided to go, instead of mindlessly following a print out, will give you a better idea of the roads that you will be traveling, can help you avoid some of the roads that will make you car sick, and will put you in a much better position if you happen to make a wrong turn.

It's hard to play with adjusting the route since I have no idea what the road actually is with not wanting to get car sick.
    In this case, you've been given route recommendations as to how to make this trip that will be easiest with consideration to your special needs that avoids the worst of the curvy mountain roads. Yet despite being given that help, you're still letting yourself be paralysed by a computer print out, and not going to a map to see what your other options are. All I can really say is that what you need to do isn't very hard, and will help you have a much better trip. You've just got to try and set your fears aside, do a little work, and really be prepared for your trip. In the long run, I think it will help you have a much better trip and set you up to be in a much better position the next time you have to travel to a place you haven't been before.