1. Default Beach and Mountain Camping trip...

I am planning a trip for the month of May. It will be our honeymoon. We are renting a car for the whole month of may. Starting in Columbus Ohio we will be "heading out west". Our trip will be a road trip and we want to do mostly camping.

Here is what I have so far:

Leave Columbus Cabin May 6th.

May 22nd and 23rd stay in a cabin outside of Pikes Peak area.

Arrive back in the Dallas area June 2nd.

Here is what we want to do:

Camp on the beach for 2-3 days(I need help finding a place that allows camping on a beach in may)
    See the Grand Canyon
    See Yellowstone
    See Yosemite
    See Salvation Mountain
    See Golden Gate Bridge
    Take a long hike and camp out in the middle of no where.

We are graduates from a small Bible college and are on a small budget. We want to see the country without the crowds (asking a lot huh??).

The closest thing I think I have found for the beach camping that I think would be real cool for us is Channel Islands National Park.

So I'm open to any and all suggestions...

2. Default

After reading this article I might just add sheep falls to the list of to dos..

Default A few thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaCeTraNce View Post

Here is what we want to do:

Camp on the beach for 2-3 days(I need help finding a place that allows camping on a beach in may)

Take a long hike and camp out in the middle of no where.
    The closest thing I think I have found for the beach camping that I think would be real cool for us is Channel Islands National Park.

So I'm open to any and all suggestions...
    While in California during early November 2007, I was amazed and delighted to see campers along designated segments of the Pacific Coast Highway near Ventura and Santa Barbara. There, and perhaps elsewhere, campers are allowed to park in lots paralleling the PCH. There, it is simply stepping out of your accomodations directly onto the beach. Of course, the PCH is on the opposite side of the tent, so it's not exactly wilderness camping. The Channel Islands NP is a short boat ride out of Port Hueneme, Ventura, or Santa Barbara, and surely their website can provide information as to beach camping out there.

For backpacking, I'd look to relatively "bear-free" sections of a National Park. It's been 30 years since I did so, but portions of the Rocky Mountain National Park just northwest of Denver then offered lots of backcountry trails with camping permitted and were considered "bear free". We sure never saw any, but the bugling elk during the rut scared us half to death one night!

Enjoy the planning and the trip!

Foy

4. Default

Thanks for the info.

I'll definitely take your advice into consideration.