1. Default Cincinatti to Phoenix via southern states

In a couple of months I will be driving from Cincinatti to Phoenix, but I am taking the long way- probably through Kentucky, TN, GA, AL, MS, LA, AR, OK, TX, NM, and into AZ. I am wondering if anyone has some tips, especially with regard to places to eat or cool back roads along the way. Obviously, time is not a principle concern here... Thank you if you can help

Green County, Wisconsin

Default working with

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It will be helpful to have a better idea of what it is that you are looking to do and why you have picked this route. I'm assuming you are heading east to Georgia and then doing a big loop of the south first for a reason? Do you have any specific destinations in mind already?

Tucson, AZ

Default Just a Few Suggestions

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As Michael points out, without knowing more about which main roads you'll be taking or what your interests are, it's tough to do much else. But I'd make sure that I looked at some of the Parkways and mountain back roads in Kentucky while generally heading for Cumberland Gap, and certainly a drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park would be in order, or even the Tail of the Dragon. While in the South, be sure to ask around in small towns for the best local pulled pork barbeque. These are often unadvertised, not even a sign on the building, and some may only be open 1 day a week. There's no way that we or anyone else can keep track of these, so "Inquire locally" is always your best option. In western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma, another great scenic road is the Talimena Scenic Drive. Finally if you plan to approach Phoenix from the Albuquerque area, give serious thought to coming down US-60 through the Salt RiverCanyon.

Default Some others

Hello rjoseph,

I'd throw in the Talladega Scenic Drive, a short parkway in northeast Alabama which takes you along the highest mountain in AL (Cheaha), and which is also the southwesternmost surficial expression of the Appalachian Mountains.

Passing through parts of TN and MS is the Natchez Trace Parkway, originally the walking path for boatmen returning from the lower Mississippi to Tennessee, where they'd cobble new flatboats and cargos together and float back down the Cumberland, Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi all over again. The corridor is now part of the National Park Service and is a very pleasant, leisurely, noncommercial highway.