Thread: Intro Thread

1. Default Intro Thread

I couldn't find an intro thread, so I'm making one.

I'm a high school senior living in northern virginia looking to go on a road trip with a close friend I've made over the past few years as a last-hurrah. I will be 18 by the time we leave.

She lives in MD, is going to be 17 (her parents are okay with it, and I'm going to get medical release forms, does anyone have any other sort of legalese advice for minors accompanying 18 year olds on a trip like this?)

We're not sure where we want to go, or what we want to do, but we already spend fair amounts of time doing weekend-trips but we're not sure what to do for a longer trip.

Just looking for tips and some advice while figuring all of this out!

Thanks!

Darryl

Default Welcome.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Just looking for tips and some advice while figuring all of this out!
    I think at this stage you should have a good search of the forums and road trip planning pages and find the things that appeal to you and try and build your trip around them.

Of course a lot will depend on your budget and the amount of time you can take off to travel. I can't help with legal matters but one of your biggest hurdles will be trying to get lodgings because of your age group. I presume you have your own vehicle as you will stumble across the same problems trying to rent one.

Have a good look around R.T.A and enjoy the forums !

3. Default Age and housing?

Do you have any idea how that would work?

as I'm going to be 18, and I suppose I might have power of attorney or something similar, would I be allowed to get us a room?

(we're all close friends, it's not like we're going to be doing anything...)

Default the age line

Being 18 you'll be able to get a room in many places, but you could have some issues. Some places will only rent to people age 21 and over, and some places that might rent to an 18 year old may not allow you to have an unrelated 17 year old guest. I think you'll be able to find enough places where this shouldn't be a problem you can't overcome, but it is something that could come up and you shouldn't be surprised if you see it. If you don't advertise yourself as teenagers (ie acting responsible) and don't come off like a pair of kids looking to have a party, you'll have fewer problems. Back in my 18-21 days, I know I was in similar situations and rarely had a problem.

What you really need is a notarized letter of permission from this minor's parents allowing her to accompany you on this trip.

6. Default

Her parents were planning on doing just that I believe...

hrm...

I should have a more in depth conversation with them shouldn't I?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl_Devault View Post
    I'm a high school senior living in northern virginia looking to go on a road trip with a close friend I've made over the past few years as a last-hurrah. I will be 18 by the time we leave.
    hey! i'm a senior in hs as well. class of 2009 woot! and i live in northern virginia too! small world, huh?

three of my friends and i are also planning a road trip. we're thinking of doing a 2 weekish road trip from northern virginia down to florida.

[Moderator note: We prefer to keep questions about each person's trip separate, so I've moved the rest of your questions to a new thread, linked above]
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-11-2009 at 09:26 PM.