1. Default VA to OR in July

So, I've decided to pack my stuff up and leave the place I've called home for 23 years and move to a place I've never even visited -- Portland, Oregon.

My lease here in VA is up June 24th, so I'm leaving before then, just not exactly sure when.

I've driven cross-country once before, from VA to LA but it was literally the worst experience of my life -- probably the people I was with, and the fact we didn't stop to see ANYTHING, we made it there in 4 days, and that was with minimal driving each day.

Long story (kinda) short, I need as much advice as I can get. I was hoping my friend would drive with me, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen, so it may just be me, myself and I, which I'm okay with. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to plan the trip, how much I can expect myself to drive each day... should I pre-book hotels before hand? I work for Marriott, so I get really good discounts, I just don't know if I should drive till I can't drive anymore or plan to stop at a certain point.

I'm rambling, but any advice, comments etc, would be helpful. And anyone in the area who is up for going with me, let me know!!

Thanks,

Jessica

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by relocatingin09 View Post

I've driven cross-country once before, from VA to LA but it was literally the worst experience of my life -- probably the people I was with, and the fact we didn't stop to see ANYTHING, we made it there in 4 days, and that was with minimal driving each day.
    It sounds like the goal was to just get there instead of enjoying the journey. Of course, you now have an opportunity to make up for it. How much time will you have for your upcoming trip? Will you be driving a moving vehicle, or your personal vehicle?

Long story (kinda) short, I need as much advice as I can get. I was hoping my friend would drive with me, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen, so it may just be me, myself and I, which I'm okay with. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to plan the trip, how much I can expect myself to drive each day... should I pre-book hotels before hand? I work for Marriott, so I get really good discounts, I just don't know if I should drive till I can't drive anymore or plan to stop at a certain point.
    Seemed short enough to me. Our general recommendation is no more than 500-550 miles per day, which turns out to be about 10 hours behind the wheel. That is factoring in stopping for breaks every couple of hours.

For the most part, you should be able to find a place to stay, and having an "in" with the hotel may be beneficial. That is, of course, unless you plan to stay in a location with some large happening that coincides with your trip- such as Sturgis during bike week.

And anyone in the area who is up for going with me, let me know!!
    If you are looking for a travel partner, try posting in the Share the Gas section of this forum.

Default Budget and time

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

If you want to do a direct drive and get from A to B as quickly as possible we would normally recommend 500-550 miles per day. This puts you at the wheel for 9-10 hours a day with short stops for food and fuel e.t.c. You would be looking at 5 or 6 days to do this journey, but we all have different limits.
    Unless you really have to, I wouldn't drive untill you are ready to drop as you will still feel weary the next day, pace yourself from the start so that you feel comfortable and relaxed throughout your trip.

Some folks like to "wing it" and find a Motel when they have had enough for the day, others will prefer to know that they have a bed waiting for the night and stick to a schedule as such. With the added attraction of staff discounts from Marriots it would be worth checking there locations with your schedule.

If you have the budget and the time then this could be an ideal time to take a longer break and explore some of the country on the way.

4. Default

I'm thinking I can give myself a week or so to get out there, I have lots of road trip books and such, I'd like to see as much as I can without having to deviate too much off course... if that makes sense?

I plan on just driving my car, and shipping everything that doesn't fit. My car is a 2002, probably needs a serious check-up before hand as well!

So if 500 miles is pushing it (especially if I go at this alone) maybe I should shoot for 300... and plan my stops at night accordingly?

Thanks for the advice!

Default Places that appeal.

I'm thinking I can give myself a week or so to get out there
    So if 500 miles is pushing it (especially if I go at this alone) maybe I should shoot for 300... and plan my stops at night accordingly?
    Depending on your start point in VA you would be looking in the region of 9 days travel if you were to cover 300-320 miles per day. As I said previously we are all different but 500 miles can be done with reasonable comfort. I tend to put in a couple of longer days at the start [especially when the surroundings are familiar and close to home] and then take a few leisurely days in the middle seeing places I might not get the chance to see again for a while [if ever] and then pick up the pace a little at the end knowing that you will possibly be able to re visit the area for a weekend from your new home if you wished too. If you work between the 300 and 500 mile distances and study the map to see what places appeal to you as possible stops and build your trip around that.

I'd like to see as much as I can without having to deviate too much off course... if that makes sense?
    It makes perfect sense.

Here is a list of places just off every Interstate.
    The forums and road trip planning pages are full of info so have a good look around for ideas.
    This one link has ideas in every state.

When you have started to put an itinerary together feel free to post it up and we may be able to help you "fine tune" it.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 02-08-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added links