1. Default NH to Yellowstone and Back in August

We're planning a trip out to Yellowstone in August and are looking for some intersting places to visit on the way there and back. We've seen a lot of the area closest to us so we plan on doing a lot of driving up front to get us out there with more time to spend in Yellowstone.
    We're undecided about using tents or a pop-up at the moment and are weighing the options of both. Does anyone have any camping suggestions for Yellowstone or any great can't miss places along the way? We've never been there before. We're pretty flexible on time but we're looking at doing it in about 2 1/2 weeks or so at the moment.
    Thanks in advance,

Tucson, AZ

Default Camping and Stuff

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I do have a fair amount of experience with camping, but unfortunately, most of that was in semi-serious wilderness (there is precious little serious wilderness in North America) and so not of much relevance to RoadTrips. But, my experience with state park camping has been uniformly pleasant and relatively cheap. I'd recommend doing a search on each state you'll be driving through: {statename state parks} and find the parks that offer camping near the roads you'll be driving. A more traditional way to do the same thing would be to look at the state maps in an atlas and look for the state parks marked with a small tent symbol, but the internet search will yield a lot more information about number of pads, amenities, etc. Today's tents can be set up in less than a few minutes, and taken down in the same amount of time. So unless you have a real need for towing a pop-up trailer, I'd go for light and maneuverable. The one place you may have trouble camping in August is in or near Yellowstone itself. That is the height of their season and they do get booked up well in advance. I'd start immediately trying to see what I could reserve in that area, and also a bit farther east around Rapid City, SD, another popular summer destination.

So, major attractions between say Ohio and Yellowstone would include Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, the Circus Museum in Baraboo WI and the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD for something 'different', Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind and Jewel Caves southwest of Rapid City, Devils Tower, the Little Bighorn, the Beartooth Highway, and the Grand Tetons.

3. Default Thanks!

Thansk AZBuck,
    We are going to get to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial. The Corn Palace sounds interesting. I think I am going to add the Jewel Cave to the list. I hadn't heard of it before. We'll have 4 boys between the ages of 7 and 12 so that may be a great place for them to check out. I'd like to go to Badlands as well.
    We'll be making our final route and reservations this week. We figure we'll hit those places on the way out to Yellowstone, Camp there, and then swing back on a loop either more Northerly or more Southerly depending on what there is to see and how long we decide to take.
    I agree about tenting being less of a hassle but we'd have to pack pretty light. Tents, sleeping bags, gear, cooler, and 6 people will really fill the truck. Last year we went South for about 12 days with 5 people (2 adults and 3 kids) and we were pretty full. Thanks for the input though. I would rather use the tents. I just need to learn to pack a little lighter. :)
    I was also thinking that it would be easier to get a tent site in most places and it should be cheaper.
    Thanks again,