1. Default Vail to Vegas (two nights)

Hi!
    I am going in April from Vail to Vegas. I plan to leave Vail in the morning, spend a couple of nights on the way and arrive in Vegas on the afternoon.
    I will be driving a 4x4 so not concerned with snow!
    I would certainly want to spend one night in the grand canyon (probably the second?)
    Any advice much appreciated! cheers

Default Grand Canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by castelo View Post
    I am going in April from Vail to Vegas. I plan to leave Vail in the morning, spend a couple of nights on the way and arrive in Vegas on the afternoon.
    The Grand Canyon would be quite a ways out of the way, what route were you planning on using? Zion NP is easily on the way.

Mark

Default Things to Keep in Mind

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Sounds like a great trip, but keep in mind that having a 4x4 is no guarantee of getting through any weather. Far more critical to getting through are the actual conditions, and your skill at handling them and ultimately being able to recognize when it's time to not just push on regardless. And Mark is right, the shortest route would be I-70 completely across Utah to I-15 and then down past Zion and Bryce Canyon.

But, assuming the weather is good, and you really want to see the Grand Canyon, then you should probably be looking at taking I-70 across Colorado and just into eastern Utah. Plan on spending your first night in Moab after and/or before exploring Arches National Park. On Day 2 head down US-191 to US-163 through Monument Valley, and then US-180/AZ-64 through the Grand Canyon. Spending the night in the national park may be possible, but if not there are several motels in Tusayan, just south of the park, and some lower priced accommodations in Williams farther south. Then after you've seen as much of the Canyon as you can fit in, you can make the 4-5 hour drive to Las Vegas.

AZBuck