Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Norwegians need your help!

Hi, we're 5 Norwegians trying to plan a road trip cross the magnificent USA! We're thinking about driving the US-80 from Savannah to San Diego. We're wondering on several things experienced road trippers might help us with:

What's the cheapest, renting or buying a car? We'll be needing a van. Is it possible to rent a car in Savannah and turn it in in San Diego?

How much time do we HAVE to use on the trip?

Will we have trouble finding places to stay overnight?

Any help will be terrific, we're 5 young (20-22) guys playing American folk-inspired music, and this trip will be an important experience for us!

Default Not cheap

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It is certainly possible to rent a van one way, however because of your ages, it will likely be pretty expensive, and anyone in your group under age 21 won't be able to drive at all. Having said that, purchasing a car as a non-resident is very difficult, and generally not cost effective unless you are on the road for several months.

You'd need about a week just to cover the distance, of course, you'll want to spend more time if you want to stop and explore things along the way.

Motels should not be hard to find, but you'll want to make sure you have a credit card to make the process easier.

Thank you for responding. I don't think will have any problems funding the trip, but we'll need to sit down and make a budget. Does anyone know of any companies that would rent us a van?

Having covered all the "serious business"; opinions on our route of choice? Anything in particular we'll have to see? We're mostly interested in "the heartland", and the roads and scenery one can see in classic roadmovies like Easy Rider and Thelma and Louise...

Default Camper ?

Hi there,

Although not normally the cheapest option, have you considered renting an R.V. [Motorhome] for your trip. With 5 of you sharing the cost it would be an option, as you will require quite a large vehicle for you all and your equipment.

I would recommend having a good search of the forums and roadtrip planning pages [above in the green tool bar] to get some ideas. If you are looking for miles of open, desert road then you will love the Southwest and the National parks of Utah, Arizona Nevada e.t.c.

Start having a look and as you build your trip continue to ask questions and we can help it all come together for an amazing trip.

5. Default Helping the Norwegians

I think you will see most of the scenery you are talking about from those movies once you get to the west. Nevada and California. If you want to see the "real" hartland of America take short trips off of I80 and other major freeways. Drive the smaller highways and go in to the small towns. I live in a small community that is just a 10 minute drive off of I80 in Iowa, The Amana Colonies. It is a great side trip, we were once a religous communal society and now are a great tourist destination with German heritage. . Its a good side trip, we are just east of Iowa City. Which is also a great stop in Iowa. Iowa City is a college town with a great music and litterary scene. Good luck on your trip it sounds like fun!

Brandi
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-07-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: link format

I don't think we'll be renting a camper, though we'll look into it. Unless I'm mistaken, Iowa is quite a bit off route 80, and I think we'll be staying in the southernmost states this time! Anyway, thanks for the tips! We'll be looking into the renting business...

Default Renting a wreck, one-way.

Hi, we're trying to rent a van, with 5-7 seats, one-way. Our problem is that we're looking for something in the very lowest price-range, and the newer vans of the big companies doesn't seem to fit our profile.

Does anyone know of any companies that would rent us an old wreck in Georgia, to be turned in in California? It seems impossible!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-08-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create new threads to ask questions about the same trip

Default Don't know

I don't know of any companies that would rent you something that wouldn't make the trip, other than perhaps some shady small outfit. And even then, it's doubtful they would have any provisions towards allowing one-way rentals.

However, your title brings to mind Rent-A-Wreck, which may have what you are looking for.

Default Correct

Quote Originally Posted by AndersS View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, Iowa is quite a bit off route 80, and I think we'll be staying in the southernmost states this time!
    You are quite correct. I think there was a misunderstanding that you would be on I-80 as opposed to US-80. Understandable, since "the heartland" generally implies the Midwest states such as Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    You are quite correct. I think there was a misunderstanding that you would be on I-80 as opposed to US-80. Understandable, since "the heartland" generally implies the Midwest states such as Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, etc.
    Thanks for clearing that up! I expect we'll be taking huge detours off the US-80, to be able to see some of the heartlands. We're as interested in the huge farms of Kansas and Nebraska as we are in the southwestern deserts... At the moment, the fun planning can't really start before we've checked out the possibilities of renting a van! :P