1. Default Spring trip from Alabama to Lancaster PA

Does anyone know of any interesting stops along I81 from Knoxville to Lancaster PA? I am looking for inexpensive bed and breakfasts or other interesting places to stay suitable for me and my 10 year old son I am also looking for any interesting stops along the way. I took my son to Lancaster PA for spring break two years ago, stayed at a farm, visited and had dinner with an Amish family and just drove around for a few days. We travel extensively thoughout the US and he thought this was the best trip ever and wanted to do it again. We didn't drive last time so I don't know how to break up a 14 hour trip on this route. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Sure

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The main route between Knoxville and Lancaster is I-81, and as with any other Interstate, there are lots of places to take quick but interesting stops on the way. But probably even better from your son's point of view would be a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway and some time spent exploring Shenandoah National Park. Some other sites worth looking into in the general Lancaster area are Gettysburg, the Railroad Museum in Strasburg, Brandywine Battlefield, and the Delaware Natural History Museum. Also the nearby town of Lititz, PA was recently named to this year's list of a Dozen Distinctive Destinations by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. And as far as breaking up the drive goes, there's another lovely town about halfway, Lexington, VA.