1. Default Houston - Las Vegas..

Hi All

Am an Norwegian coming to the USA in April. Gonna stay in Houston a few days, then get car and drive to Las Vegas.
    Using Google Maps it says it will take around 23 houres to do the drive, so my question is: Would I be able to do the drive in 2 days, not really stoping for anything but a sleepover at a hotel/motel along the way?

Also Petrol prices in the US now are around how much a gallon/liter?

Thanks for any help...

Tucson, AZ

Default Think 3 Days

Velkommen! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Houston to Las Vegas is nearly 1,500 mi (2,400 km). The mapping software that is giving you a 21 hour estimate on driving time assumes that you can drive at the speed limit for the entire trip, that you won't get tired or just want to take a break from driving, never need to stop to eat, or to get fuel, or to go to the bathroom. In other words, it is totally unrealistic. Even two days would not really be enough for this long a journey. You could probably drive 750 miles one day, but the next day you would be too exhausted to repeat that effort. About 500 miles is a good day's drive that will leave time for everything else you need to do as well as to take the occasional break. Good stops for overnight that should have plenty of options for lodging are Fort Stockton, TX and Tucson, AZ.

Gas in the U.S. is currently running around $2/gal (0.41€/l or 3.65 Krone/l) but is subject to major fluctuations and has been as much as twice that in the last year or so.

3. Default

Thx for the Reply

Cheap petrol :D Sweet

Well we are only 2 adults going, and are gonna swap on the driving. Hopefully we are gonna have a Chrystler 300 Touring for the drive.
    Was hoping on a 5-6 houre drive - Swap with 30 min break - 6-8 houre drive, hotell, then same again the next day. But might just take it slow and use 3 days instead.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a bit long

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip is about 1500 miles, which is more than we generally recommend for 2 days. You'd have to be on the road for at least 14 hours each day, which is a very long day on the road, and is probably not a great idea if you are a solo traveler and you don't have much experience with long haul speed run trips.

3 days would be better, which even that would require 8-10 hours a day on the road.

Gas prices right now are sitting around $2 per gallon. You can find more specific price info as part of our fuel cost calculator on the left side of this screen.

5. Default

Well have done long roadtrips before in Europe of course.
    Like a 2400 miles trip, with 2 drivers, done in 30 houres straight:p Not too recomend tbh.

The houres behind the wheel dont worry me too much. More worried of the speed limits ; read what kinda speed I can hold over time. This is just a trip to get from A to B, no sightseeing. Will do that on the return drive. Just wanna get to Las Vegas as "fast" as possible.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default repetition

I was still writing my last post while you and Buck both posted, so clearly it was a little repetative.

Generally in the west we figure you can average about 57 mph when you factor in quick stops for fuel, restrooms, etc. Even though speed limits will be 75-80 mph for much of your trip, its hard to push your average speed beyond 60 mph when you factor in just the minimum of stops.

If you've got experience and multiple drivers, then you can make the trip in 2 days. But it will be 2 long days, and you'll be pretty tired by the time you get to Vegas.