1. Default Romantic Break? or Total Disaster!

Hiya,

Me and my girlfriend are hiring a motorhome for 80 days, 1st July to 18th September-ish!

And we have no clue!

Our route idea is:
    Either:
    1) Houston (pick-up) - Miami - Washington DC - Niagara Falls - Chicago - route 66 to Las Vegas - Sand Diego - LA - San Fran - Northern California
    Or:
    2) Houston (pick-up) - San Diego - LA - San Fran - Northern California - back down to Las Vegas - up route 66 to Chicago - Niagara Falls - Washington DC - Miami

Ummm several questions leap to mind!!!!
    1) Which of the above would be better?
    2) Is this amount of mileage totally crazy in 80 days!!!!! We expect to drive a hell of a lot but don't wanna be on the road 24-7 as we wanna relax in places for a few days sometimes.
    3) Is starting in Houston a waste of time? Should we miss it out and start either in San Diego/LA or Miami?
    4) Which way is best on route 66 Las Veg - Chicago or Chicago - Las Veg or does it not matter!
    5) Is this going to be so much hastle we will break up?! :)

So do you think we should do this? or save our relationship and just lie on a beach!

Anything you think we should include please feel more than free to lecture me on.
    Thanks very much,
    Pip

Default options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

1) Which of the above would be better?
    2) Is this amount of mileage totally crazy in 80 days!!!!! We expect to drive a hell of a lot but don't wanna be on the road 24-7 as we wanna relax in places for a few days sometimes.
    I don't think there is that much of a difference between your two routes. Ending in Miami will add a couple hundred miles to your trip, but that's not much over 2 months. I guess the question is would you rather see the Texas and the Southwest or the Southeast coast? Either way you're looking at about 6000 miles point to point. That's only 100 miles a day on average, so even if you spend 2 days at a location for every one day you are on the road, you'd still have a very manageable trip.

3) Is starting in Houston a waste of time? Should we miss it out and start either in San Diego/LA or Miami?
    Well, why are you starting in Houston? If you have no interest in seeing the things between Houston and either coast, then I suppose it would make more sense to start elsewhere.
    4) Which way is best on route 66 Las Veg - Chicago or Chicago - Las Veg or does it not matter!
    A couple things here. Route 66 does not actually exist anymore, the highway was decommissioned 25 years ago. The highway also never traveled to Las Vegas, its closest point is about 100 to the south of the city. There are still sections of the highway and things to enjoy, but I don't know why going one direction over the other would make much of a difference.
    5) Is this going to be so much hastle we will break up?! :)
    You've got to figure out why you are doing this trip. From the tone of your questions, I get the distinct impression that you are not in favor of this idea and if that's the case, then you probably won't have much fun. Why do you want to do a roadtrip? why do you want to travel in an RV? would you have more fun spending that time sitting on the beach in one location? No one else can answer those questions for you.

3. Default Chicago

On the Chicago leg I would plan it out very carefully, depending, of course, on the size of the motor home. If you are going to be in the suburbs, you'll be fine but if you plan to come downtown you will have nothing but headaches trying to park anything that is very large. Chicago is infamous as well for it's low underpasses so know your height before getting here - this may be obvious but I see semi-trucks jammed under low overpasses on a regular basis....

Don't get me wrong, I think you will find a ton of interesting things to do and see in Chicago, I'm just not sure that I have ever seen a motor home cruising down Michigan Avenue much less finding a parking spot.

Just some food for thought, enjoy your journey!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Me and my girlfriend are hiring a motorhome for 80 days, 1st July to 18th September-ish!
    Have you looked into the cost of this rental? We did, and we were shocked! The rental price was high, then there were fees for going "over the mileage", and there's the low gas mileage. Seriously, look into this before you commit to this particular mode of transportation!