Default Denver to Yellowstone

Hi all,

After our amazing road-trip last year from Washington DC to Vegas (thanks for all your help by the way), me and my Dad are going back for a further 10 days probably around May this year. Our plan is to start in Denver and then make our way to Yellowstone National Park. What is the best way to get from Denver to Yellowstone and then back to Denver? We want to see places on the way and wondered if there is a good train service or bus/coach service that we could look at.
    Or, is hiring a car the best option?

After that we are going to take an internal flight to Nashville for a few nights as we both fell in love with that place last year :-), was awesome!

Any ideas would be a great help.

Thanks

Default cars

I really think that renting a car will be far and away your best option. Bus service would be very slow getting between points, and there simply is no train service between the two points.

With 10 days, you might consider going through the Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore, etc) of South Dakota or spending time at some of the national parks in Utah and Colorado on your way too and from Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I really think that renting a car will be far and away your best option. Bus service would be very slow getting between points, and there simply is no train service between the two points.

With 10 days, you might consider going through the Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore, etc) of South Dakota or spending time at some of the national parks in Utah and Colorado on your way too and from Yellowstone.
    Hi, you have confirmed what we were thinking. Hiring a car would be the best and most flexible option. We will have around 4-5 days to drive from Denver to Yellowstone and back to Denver. We will then fly to Nashville for a few nights. I need to study the map but at first glance we are looking to drive from Denver to Yellowstone via Cheyenne and back round to Denver via Steamboat Springs, sort of an anti-clockwise loop. It looks like there is lots to see in that area. We like walking so will aim to see as many national parks on our trip as possible.

We are looking to go around mid-late May. Are all roads usually open through Yellowstone by then?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-05-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of Entire Previous Post

Default the fine line

May is the month where most things start to reopen in Yellowstone, but of course, everything is dependent on the weather. The Official National Park Website has a list of approximately when each attraction reopens for the summer.