Default Denver to Los Angeles next April

Hi there!

Me and my girlfriend (both from Holland) have decided to make a roadtrip through the southwest of the U.S. next april. I have made roadtrips in the States before (a couple of months ago I posted my previous roadtrips in a blog on this site, but I can't find it anymore); it will be my girlfriend's first time over there. We already booked flights (as well as got tickets for Bruce Springsteen in L.A.!), and I already have an itenerary in mind, but I'm interested in your feedback.

After a short stay in New York City, we will fly into Denver on April 3rd, drive a rental car to Los Angeles, and fly back from LAX to Amsterdam in the morning of April 17th. This is what I came up with:

Fri, April 3: Fly into Denver (stay in Denver, CO)
    Sat, April 4: Rocky Mountain N.P. (Denver, CO)
    Sun, April 5: Drive south (Las Vegas, NM - I thought it would be fun to stay in both Las Vegases on one trip)
    Mon, April 6: Route 66, Santa Fe, Albuquerque (Gallup, NM)
    Tue, April 7: Canyon de Chelly (Goulding's Lodge if still possible)
    Wed, April 8: Monument Valley, Four Corners Monument (Page, AZ)
    Thu, April 9: Lake Powell, Rainbow Bridge (Grand Canyon)
    Fri, April 10: Grand Canyon (Grand Canyon)
    Sat, April 11: Drive to Las Vegas, maybe via Flagstaff (Las Vegas, NV)
    Sun, April 12: Daytrip to Zion or Death Valley, or stay in Vegas in case we are tired of driving (Las Vegas, NV)
    Mon, April 13: Same as April 12 (Las Vegas, NV)
    Tue, April 14: Mojave (Los Angeles, CA)
    Wed, April 15: Some LA sight; Bruce Springsteen in LA Sports Arena (Los Angeles, CA)
    Thu, April 16: Disneyland, return the rental car at the airport (stay in some hotel close to LAX)
    Fri, April 17: Fly back home

So what do you think? Is this doable? Are we missing out on something? Should we sacrifice a day in Las Vegas for an extra day in the Four Corners area? How essential are Arches/Canyonland (as opposed to the New Mexico part of Route 66)? Seasonal closures? Ideas for lodging/car rental/routes? Any other pointers?

Looking forward to your replies,
    Remco

Default choices

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think your plan is basically solid, and there is nothing that you would have to change, however, I think there are a couple of areas where you would have other options.

Personally, the novelty of staying in Las Vegas New Mexico wouldnt be worth it to me, when there is so much to see in this part of the country. Instead, I think I'd head over to Great Sand Dunes, and then down to Santa Fe via Taos.

The other thing is you'll have to decide if New Mexico is the right choice over spending more time in Colorado and Utah. Another very possible option would be to head west along I-70, go over to Arches, and then go back south through Durango, checking out the Million Dollar Highway on the way there, then Mesa Verde enroute to 4 corners.

There really is no right or wrong answer, just a tough choice. There are lots of neat things to see in Northern New Mexico. I will say however, if your only motivation for going to New Mexico was for Route 66, you could just as easily enjoy some of the sections in Arizona as you travel between the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.

Default blogs

Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    (a couple of months ago I posted my previous roadtrips in a blog on this site, but I can't find it anymore);
    Your blog post still exists, however we have restricted access to the blog section to our more frequent posters. It was posted very clearly and in multiple locations that the blogs are for sharing ideas and comments that are not necessarily directly related to roadtrips. Unfortantly, we had too many new members who ignored the underlined and bold note saying do not post questions about a roadtrip in the blogs, so to avoid any more confusion or problems, the blogs are now simply a perk of being an established member of this community.

Thanks for your quick answer! I'll be sure to check out your link on Northern New Mexico. We might choose Northern New Mexico over Moab because I can see myself going to Moab as part of another road trip in the future. I would really like to be able to squeeze in Mesa Verde, although I understand that we would really need a full day for that...

No problem about the blog.

Default Thunderbird Lodge/Canyon de Chelly

Our current plan involves stops in Denver (2 nights), Moab (1), Durango (2), Canyon de Chelly (2), Page (2), somewhere along Route 66 in AZ (1), Las Vegas (1), and Los Angeles (3). We already booked rooms in Denver, Las Vegas, and L.A.

I've also been considering making reservations for the Tunderbird Lodge in Canyon de Chelly, but their website seems outdated, and they don't respond to e-mails...

I could of course try to call them on the telephone, but I thought I'd ask here first about the Thunderbird Lodge. Is it especially worthwhile to stay there, as opposed to a motel/hotel outside the park? Do you think it's necessary to make reservations, or could we just see when we get there?

Default Looks fine.

Hi Remco,

I have no personal experience of Thunderbird lodge but it is authorized by the NPS and has pretty good ratings on trip advisor which is more than can be said for others in the area. The most recent review being in Jan this year.

It is listed on the National parks reservations page and can be booked on line or there is a contact number.
    I wouldn't like to guess whether there will be available rooms in April or not.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 02-09-2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Typo

7. Default

my suggestion is simple:

more time in las vegas, nv. give yourself a full 2 days to see the sights and take in sin city.

Sorry for the late reply, but as you see, we decided the opposite. Las Vegas will now be hardly more than a stopover between Grand Canyon and Los Angeles. I've visited Las Vegas twice before, and I doubt it would be my girlfriend's cup of tea, so we chose to spend only one night there and instead see more of the national parks. It was a tough choice, but if we would ever decide to return to the region, there's a good chance that we might visit Las Vegas again (my girlfriend's words).

Anyway, on to my next questions. We have made some hotel reservations already, but we wonder if we would need to make reservations for some of the rides as well. Specifically, our tentative schedule includes the train trip between Durango and Cascade Canyon on April 8, and a boat trip on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge on April 11. Or could we just go up there and decide on the spot whether or not to go?

Thanks for your help as always.