Default Summer 2009 South West bound ?

Hi,

We are starting to think about this years jaunt across the pond and our thoughts are drifting south westwards. We have travelled extensively in this area before, but we love the red rock country and there are some gaps in where we have been that we could fill in during a trip that would also take us back to places we have not been for years and years (South Rim of Grand Canyon for one, Monument Valley for another).

Possible new places are Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Los Alamos, Sedona, Canyon De Chelly.

The first three in particular add substantially to the distance (We are probably flying into Vegas) and I dont know if they are worth the drive.

I am interested in any views people who have been to any of these places have about them, and how sutiable they are for a family visit (Wifey and I, two teenage sons and assorted Grand Parents).

Default Absolutely

In round numbers, the Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque area is only 300 miles from the Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde area, so if you have the time it's really not that far a stretch to add New Mexico. Also, the culture around Taos and Santa Fe is distinct from what you'll find around Sedona or Flagstaff, and certainly different from Las Vegas, and so is worth the trip on that basis. A major draw of this are is its artists and art shops, so if any of your party are interested in such things, that's another plus. There are also attractions on the way that would help break up the trip: Georgia O'Keefe's Ghost Ranch and Bandelier National Monument if you come in from Four Corners, and El Malpais National Monument and Petrified Forest National Park along I-40.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    In round numbers, the Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque area is only 300 miles from the Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde area, so if you have the time it's really not that far a stretch to add New Mexico.

Thanks for the reply AZBuck.

Its all about choices really. If we go the 300 miles to the Santa Fe area and see what there is to see around there then we really will not have the time in the trip to get down around Tucson where part of the group would like to go but we have been before. My inclination is always to go somewhere new, but if I push that and it is a por destination then I'm not 'Mr Popular'. Hence my enquiries about is it worth going.

UK

Northern New Mexico is pretty nice, UK. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. If you would like to have a copy of the 2009 Vacation Guide from the New Mexico Tourism Department, they will mail one to you free of charge, and you can look through it online here.

There are two lists for New Mexico in the State Places A-Z thread: one by AZBuck, and one by me. You can also find some ideas in this thread, and on some Google Maps I have made.
    Last edited by howard; 02-07-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: typo

Many thanks Howard - much appreciated.

UK