Thread: Chicago to L.A

Default Chicago to L.A

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the website and I was hoping I could ask for a bit of advice regarding a summer trip to the states.

I'd hoped to fly to Chicago from London and drive from there to California (probably L.A) and on the way hit Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

I had scheduled two weeks for this and I wanted to include in this a one night stay in Chicago, two night stay in Las Vegas and two or three in California. The rest will be on the journey at motels and hotels.

What other attractions would you highly recommend for the journey? Is L.A the best place to stay in California or is there better places to choose from? Are there any other pearls of wisdom you can pass on for the roadtrip?

Thanks guys, any info would be great.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default no best

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Probably the best "pearl of wisdom" I can suggest is that you not think of things on a roadtrip in terms of best. For example, LA is the best place to stay in California if the things in and around LA are what you want to do. For some people LA would be best, some people would prefer San Diego or San Francisco, and others would prefer the areas that aren't part of those major cities.

2 weeks gives you a pretty good amount of time to stop and enjoy the journey, it also gives you lots of options and potential ways you could go about doing your trip. I'd simply suggest spending some time looking around for other areas and things that might be of interest to you, which could mean spending more time along the way stopping at things, it could also mean spending more time exploring the west coast as you get close to your final destination.

Cheers Michael,

I hadn't considered the whole 'best' idea. Everyone has different opinions.

I had wanted to spend sometime by the coast, so i'll look at places which fit the bill a tad closer.