Thread: Cheap Gas

Default Cheap Gas

Hi All,

Is there any particular gas station chain that has the cheapest gas? I assume there are national chains and was wondering if any of them are known to be less expensive than others? (I do know -from the reading the forum - that prices will change from state to state)

RP

Default Gas buddy's

I can't answer your question directly but gas buddy's have price spotters keeping up to date with current prices in each state.

Default not nationally

You really don't see a trend of one company being cheaper on a national basis. First of all, you've got a lot of gas station chains/brands that operate more on a regional basis, you've also got franchises and independent stations that change the dynamics. If anything, the few chains that really do have a national presence like Chevron, Exxon/Mobil, and Shell seem to often than some of the more regional chains you'll see like Diamond Shamrock, Quick Trip, Speedway, and Cenex to name a few.

Really, the various regulations and rules that vary by state (taxes, emissions rules requiring special addatives, etc) have a bigger impact on things than brand on a large scale.

That doesn't mean there aren't trends. In California, for example, the AM/PM chain tends to have among the cheapest prices, but they don't accept credit cards. Indie stores that don't have a brand franchise often cost less, and at times, can also drive down prices at nearby "brand name" stations. You can also sometimes save money simply by driving a mile into a town, getting away from the stations right on the interstate that charge a premium for convience.

The AM/PM stores are Arco, which is owned by BP. They do take debit cards, but charge a 45 cent service charge over and above the price of the gas. Their gas is also all 10% ethanol. The indies on the west coast also generally charge about 10 cents a gallon extra for using a card.

In general, the cheapest gas you will find anywhere are at the warehouse clubs (Sam's, Costco, BJ's). You must have a membership in most states, the states that prohibit this will charge a surcharge for non-members negating any savings. Walmart gas is generally pretty cheap, especially with the 3 cent discount when you use a Walmart credit card or shopping card. Their gas is also all 10% ethanol (MurphyUSA).

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I guess if I've learned anything, it's keep my eyes peeled and pay cash for the best rates.

RP

Another issue you will find with credit cards - if your card is not a US card, it probably will not work in the automated pump reader and you will have to go inside to use it. For security, a lot of pump readers ask for your 5 digit zip code, which you wouldn't have.

Default Credit Card Problems

Thanks for the warning. I will have a combination of cards and cash. Did,'t have any issues getting money out from the machines in the USA last time I was there - apart from the interest charged!!!