1. Default new england roadtrip from kentucky

ok, so my girlfriend and I are bouncing around some ideas for a roadtrip up the east coast sometime in the summer of this year. As of right now, our time window is about 9 total days to spend on the trip, and we are beginning to map out out route. We are not really into the whole "tourist" type deal, and New England offers some unique landscapes and coastal towns. As of right now, we are sticking to the coast with plans to stop in (durations yet to be determined) washington, dc, lewes and rehoboth beach de, then up to Little Compton and Warren RI, then to Scituate and Boston MA, then York, Ogunquit, Belfast, and Blue Hill ME. From here we were bouncing around the idea of returning through canada and going to Montreal, Toronto, Niagra Falls then back home through Buffalo, Cleveland, ect. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? We are prepared to drive alot (part of the fun) and kind of want to stay of the beaten path and see as much as possible on the trip. We generally like to stay away from areas that have lots of tourists (with the obvious exceptions of the big cities) and would love to see some of the quaint coastal towns through New England. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed, as we are totally willing to change our route to add a new spot or omit one of our current ones if they are no good....Thanks in advance for the help!

Tucson, AZ

Default More Than You Need?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

At around 2,700 miles as described, you will indeed be doing a lot of driving on your 9 day RoadTrip. Still you can and will have a lot of fun. I'll offer just a few suggestions of places I've enjoyed that are on your way. Start with the Zwaanendael Museum in Lewes, DE; and try Bethany Beach, DE rather than Rehoboth for a less honky-tonk boardwalk. For a pleasant drive to New England that avoids the New Jersey Turnpike and New York City, consider using the Cape May-Lewes Ferry from Lewes to southern New Jersey, drive up through the Pine Barrens to US-206 and I-287 and then NY-17 and the Seven Lakes Drive from Sloatsburg through Harriman State Park to Bear Mountain Bridge, using US-202 to connect to I-84. Be sure to take the Pell Bridge into Newport, RI and take at least one walking tour of a 'cottage' - the Elms is where the opening to the film "True Lies" was filmed. Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston; visit Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth, NH; and be sure to have your cameras ready when you drive out to the Nubble in Cape Neddick (part of Greater York), ME. On a trivia note, the direct route from Belfast, ME to Montréal will take you on NH-26 through Dixville Notch, NH which is famous every four years as all two dozen or so voters cast their votes just after midnight and constitute ALL the returns for about 20 hours or so. Between Montréal and Toronto, you'll go through the Thousand Islands Region which is also worth a stop and maybe a boat ride.

Well, I've already overloaded you with too many things to see in the 4 non-driving days you have, but those should give you an idea of what's available to you.

Last edited by AZBuck; 01-30-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Corrections and Typos

3. Default New England & More

Hi AZBuck -

I too am planning an East Coast roadtrip for the summer - total 15 days. Presently living in SoCal and still familiarizing myself with the EC map. need suggestions. We've been to DC, Jamestown, Annapolis and NYC. would like to see Mass, Penn, Vermont, NH, RI, Maine, NY and perhaps Nova Scotia. Be travelling with with a 10-yr old and a teenager. I'd like to include some historical sights and fun sights and activities on the road trip. Travel dates would probably be the 4th of July week.
    Any suggestions / directions is appreciated.

Thank you.

Tucson, AZ

Default General and Specific

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For background, you and the children should read through these threads on New England and the individual states you plan to visit. I've already noted a couple of historic venues in the post above, but another worthwhile stop is the Coolidge Historic Site in Plymouth, VT. If you don't mind paying about $35 in entrance fees, then Old Strubridge Village in south central Massachusetts is another good learning experience.

If you're in New England for the 4th of July, then I recommend spending the day in some/any small town where they have a fireman's breakfast, local parade, and evening fireworks display. These won't be as impressive as what you can find in Boston, but they will be very enjoyable nonetheless. And while you could expand this trip to include Pennsylvania, New York or Nova Scotia, I think the children would more appreciate doing things than driving between places.

5. Default East Coast roadtrip

Cool. Thanks for the advise. I'll go thru the threads.
    Love this site.
    PEACE !!!

6. Default

thanks for your help!