Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Epic Trip (Atlanta to San Francisco)

My plan is to do a solo loop around the country over a 15 day period. Below are my destinations planned destinations:

Start: Atlanta, GA

Westbound
    - Albuquerque, NM
    - Grand Canyon
    - Las Vegas, NV
    - Los Angeles, CA (LA to SF via Highway 1)
    - San Francisco, CA

Eastbound
    - Salt Lake City, UT
    - Kansas City, MO

End: Atlanta, GA

Total Miles: 5,282
    Dates: August 7th, 2009 to August 22nd, 2009

Where I am looking for advise, is sights to see between destinations, sites to see at destinations. How should I go about planning cost? I am planning on small hole in the wall motels, $30 to $50 per night type places.

Do you all think this is to much for 15 days? How about going solo? I have never done this but have always wanted to. I am 25 years old, so no foreseen age problems.

Advise? Books to pick up? Recommended GPS system?
    Last edited by ATLChris; 01-28-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Default quick but good

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

At 15 days, this will certainly be a quick trip, where you won't have a lot of time to linger more than a day or maybe two at any one of those places, however I think you should be able to fit it all in.

When planning your budget, I would certainly use a $50 figure for your cost estimates, not $30. While I can occationally find a room for $30-40, when you throw in taxes and fees, even the cheapest rooms usually tops $40.

Thanks, I am going to try and push it to 20 days depending on my job and if I can get that amount of time off. What is everyone's thoughts on sleeping in your vehicle at truck stops? I am in a sedan, but I think I would be able to sleep in the car.

Default Truck-Stop Article

Hi there-

What is everyone's thoughts on sleeping in your vehicle at truck stops? I am in a sedan, but I think I would be able to sleep in the car.
    Check out Mark's article : "Truck Stops: Not Just for Truckers"

Cheers!

Default That IS an epic trip!

If you accept that this is a quick whistle-stop with little time for sightseeing, you'll have a great time. If you're expecting more, you'll be disappointed.

This should help you with figuring out your budget.

Where I am looking for advise, is sights to see between destinations, sites to see at destinations.
    With the limited time you have, I think you should just focus on sites that are on or very near your route. To give you specific recommendations, we really need to know more about what kinds of things you are interested in. It's a big world and not everything appeals to everybody.

Do you all think this is to much for 15 days?
    We generally recommend that people limit their driving to about 500 miles per day. This allows you to spend a few hours of that day sight-seeing and get out of the car often enough to prevent driving fatigue (which can get dangerous). When I plug your trip into Googlemaps, I come up with almost 5500 miles. You need to add about 20% to this to figure time getting to sightseeing, lodging, restaurants, and any other stops. So that brings it to about 6000. If you average about 500 miles/day, that's 12 days leaving you about three days worth of time to explore things in more depth.

This wouldn't be too much for me. It sounds thrilling. Only you can answer that. As long as you pace yourself so you don't get too fatigued while driving, thus creating a hardship for yourself and others on the road, it should be a great trip.

How about going solo? I have never done this but have always wanted to.
    Do you enjoy a restaurant meal by yourself? Going to the movies or other type event by yourself? If so, you should be fine. If not, you might want to rethink this.

Advise? Books to pick up? Recommended GPS system?
    You can check out the our recommended books. You really only need good papermaps. While GPS systems can be fun, they don't replace paper maps. Here are our map recommendations.

Default RoadTrips are by Definition Unique, But...

As people have pointed out, your trip will have to be one where you keep an eye on the odometer and calendar, and make sure that you keep moving along. But, as they also point out, that does not mean that you cannot have a great time and see and do a lot of things. As just one example of what's possible on a trip of this magnitude and duration, have a read through this RoadTrip Report of a nearly 7,250 mile trip done over 16 days. Note that stops were made each day and that one key was to mix up long driving days with days spent mostly sightseeing, mostly Interstate travel with days spent mostly on 'back' roads, and every stop was something I had chosen myself to be of interest to me. A thoroughly enjoyable endeavor.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by Coast2Coast09 View Post
    Hi there-

Check out Mark's article : "Truck Stops: Not Just for Truckers"

Cheers!
    Thanks for the link, I am still discovering all the great content on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post
    If you accept that this is a quick whistle-stop with little time for sightseeing, you'll have a great time. If you're expecting more, you'll be disappointed.
    I am a traveler in my mind. I am interested in the driving, and am not planning on spending anymore than maybe a full day or 2 in any location. I am more interested in seeing the simple but eclectic roadside attractions. (Histroical Route 66, Route 50 - Loneliest Road in America.)

With the limited time you have, I think you should just focus on sites that are on or very near your route. To give you specific recommendations, we really need to know more about what kinds of things you are interested in. It's a big world and not everything appeals to everybody.
    I want to see the stuff most people never get to see, the small but exciting roadside stop for an hour type attractions. I want to drive Route 50 out of Carson City, ... stuff like that. True road trip attractions, not so much the large cities.

We generally recommend that people limit their driving to about 500 miles per day. This allows you to spend a few hours of that day sight-seeing and get out of the car often enough to prevent driving fatigue (which can get dangerous). When I plug your trip into Googlemaps, I come up with almost 5500 miles. You need to add about 20% to this to figure time getting to sightseeing, lodging, restaurants, and any other stops. So that brings it to about 6000. If you average about 500 miles/day, that's 12 days leaving you about three days worth of time to explore things in more depth.

This wouldn't be too much for me. It sounds thrilling. Only you can answer that. As long as you pace yourself so you don't get too fatigued while driving, thus creating a hardship for yourself and others on the road, it should be a great trip.
    550 Miles per day, that sounds pretty good. I plan to pace myself on the road but avoid squatting anywhere for more than a day, day and half.

Do you enjoy a restaurant meal by yourself? Going to the movies or other type event by yourself? If so, you should be fine. If not, you might want to rethink this.
    I am defiantly a loner, I think I would really enjoy this trip by myself.

You can check out the our recommended books. You really only need good papermaps. While GPS systems can be fun, they don't replace paper maps. Here are our map recommendations.
    Thanks for the links, and all the great info. I will post more info about my route plans for destination recommendations soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    As people have pointed out, your trip will have to be one where you keep an eye on the odometer and calendar, and make sure that you keep moving along. But, as they also point out, that does not mean that you cannot have a great time and see and do a lot of things. As just one example of what's possible on a trip of this magnitude and duration, have a read through this RoadTrip Report of a nearly 7,250 mile trip done over 16 days. Note that stops were made each day and that one key was to mix up long driving days with days spent mostly sightseeing, mostly Interstate travel with days spent mostly on 'back' roads, and every stop was something I had chosen myself to be of interest to me. A thoroughly enjoyable endeavor.

AZBuck
    Awesome, thanks for the link I will give this a read tonight.

I have been doing some reading, and a couple of the things I would like to see along the way are the cars that are sticking out of the ground, not sure what that is called, the Wigwam Tee pee hotel, Grand Canyon, Hover Dam, some of the classic Route 66 sites. Also, I think I am going to brave route 50 out of Carson City, I hear it is a lonely but amazing 400 mile drive.

Does anyone know of a good online resource to quirky, off the beaten path type attractions? I am going to be traveling east to west mostly on I-40 and I want to stop at some of the crazy and famous roadside attractions.

Anyone? Anyone? Buller?

I am going to be coming in from the east on I-40, I plan to stop at the Grand Canyon, and camp either there or Lake Mead? What road is best to get off of i-40 to get a great view of the grand canyon? Route 64? Route 66?

Also, anyone have any personal favorite camping areas at either Lake Mead or the Grand Canyon?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-29-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Merged 3 rapid fire posts/threads - Please do not create multiple threads to ask questions about the same trip

Anyone have any thoughts on either to see the Petrified Forest, or the ice caves in Grant, NM?