1. Default New York to Albany to Canada, what roads should I take

Got my passport and want to take for a test drive. Have to go to Albany and figure I might as well spend a night or two in Canada while I'm up there. Will be with the GF and would like to know of any particularly nice routes to take from NY to Albany and Albany to Canada.

Default Nothing Better

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can hardly beat the drive up the Hudson River Valley and then along Lakes George and Champlain with the very cosmopolitan Montréal as your goal. Highways to consider (and do consider taking different routes up and back) include the Taconic Parkway, US-9 and US-4 NY-22 and NY-9N, and I-87 if you have to cover some ground in a hurry. By the way, your girlfriend has her passport as well, right?

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can hardly beat the drive up the Hudson River Valley and then along Lakes George and Champlain with the very cosmopolitan Montréal as your goal. Highways to consider (and do consider taking different routes up and back) include the Taconic Parkway, US-9 and US-4 NY-22 and NY-9N, and I-87 if you have to cover some ground in a hurry. By the way, your girlfriend has her passport as well, right?

AZBuck
    Yes, she has been to many countries before. I just love to drive and will always take a road trip over a plane ticket. I will definitely take the taconic up as the entrance is just around the corner from my house and is at the very beginning of the parkway. I've taken 87 to Albany before and it was quite boring.

Is there a website or program I can use to map out the route so I don't get lost.

Default Preaching to the choir, Brother!

Quote Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
    I just love to drive and will always take a road trip over a plane ticket.

Is there a website or program I can use to map out the route so I don't get lost.

Hello Zionswrath,

The only thing I have to add is you're in the right place if you're seeking people who will choose driving any time it's feasible. Welcome.

There are innumerable mapping and route planning programs, MapQuest and Google Maps to name just two. But, and this is an editorial, there is no complete substitute for highway maps and the ability to use them. Don't get me wrong, I got my wife a GPS for Christmas and have enjoyed traveling with it myself, but any electronic device is prone to failure, and it always seems to happen at the worst time. I won't leave home for even a short trip without maps.

Foy