Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San fran to miami in may

hello
    any suggestons wich route?
    and i was wondering that how much does it cost when you rent a car and leav it in another state? and how big budget do I it need? sorry my englisch..

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

How much time do you have for this trip? If you have only a week, than the direct route will work, but if you have a month, our route suggestions are going to be different.

Where will you be lodging - hotel/motel or camping or hostel or some other form?

What kind of things are you interested in?

$100/day is a starting point for a budget, although with a rental car that's going to add to costs. One-way rentals generally have additional charges that vary depending on the vehicle and the rental company.

3. Default

we have 20 days and we are sleeping in motell or hostell.. the cheapest we will find..:)
    we are renting a car. we would want to go near the coast.. and maybe if we have time we would go on a cruise..

Default options

With 20 days you have lots of options about where to go and what to see. As Tim mentioned, you need about a week to make the drive direct, so you've got lots of potential to really go almost any place you'd want to go. I think you really just need to start thinking about your interests and start looking for at least the major stopping points you'd like for your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by unleashed View Post
    .....we are sleeping in motell or hostell.. the cheapest we will find..:)
    This site may help.

6. Default

thank you for all yourcomments..
    then wich are the cheapest car rentals or then i heard some where that you could drive some one elses car across the us.. or is that just some thing i heard.

Try here.... I have driven around two dozen of their cars... and when I was looking at the car list this week, there was a car which had to be relocated from the west coast to Florida.

There are miles and time restrictions, but I have always found them very generous, and paced myself to stop at at least two attractions along the way.

Enjoy

Default driveaway drawbacks

A driveaway company is what you are talking about, and is what Lifey linked to above.

It certainly would be worth checking them out, although I think it would be fairly unusual for them to give you 3 full weeks to make the trip. Usually, they want you to drive pretty much straight to your destination, although they may give you a couple extra days to work with. I just think and extra 2 weeks may be more than they'll be willing to do.

Otherwise, you really just have to shop around for rental cars. The prices can vary quite a bit, so looking at as many resources as you can generally is the best bet.

9. Default

okey..
    thank you..
    how about the motells and hostells.. can yuo drop in in the middle of the night or do you have to come in the evening..
    and if you rent a car can you go to mexico for a day or two..
    its the first road trip of many so i have to ask alot.:)

Default yes and no

you can stop at a motel at pretty much any point of the night, just be aware that many will not change their check-out time. So if you show up in the early morning hours, and there check out time is say 9 or 10 o'clock, you might not be able to get as much sleep as you'd like. Hostels I'm not as sure about 24 hour check in. Since you're generally dealing with shared rooms, you may be more limited for a late night check in at those locations.

Most car rental companies will not allow you to drive into Mexico.