1. Default LA to Vegas to Phoenix and Back :)

Hi everyone,

Me and the Gf are planning a weekend trip. We fly from Hawaii to LA, then drive to Vegas and stay a night. Next day we drive to the Grand Canyon for a few hours, then on to Phoenix. We will then drive back to Vegas from Phoenix the next day. Being from Hawaii and having no knowledge of most of the roads I have some questions:

1. anything good to see from LA to Vegas? We want to get there fast, so any good quick stops?
    2. Best route to GC from Vegas? We would like to stop there going to Phoenix and then going back, so a total of two times. Should we drive from Vegas to West GC to Phoenix, and then Phoenix to South GC to Vegas? We want to drive as least as possible, so yea
    3. While driving to GC and to Phoenix and back, any good sights to see?

I think that is all for now. Thankyou very much for any insights or comments made.

Default Why?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums

I suppose it is just possible to do at least the basics of what you are describing, but it hardly seems worth it. You will fly overnight (I assume) from Hawaii to Los Angeles, arrive tired, spend an hour or so getting out of the airport and a couple hours more just getting out of Los Angeles. You will then spend the next three 'days driving over 1300 miles. You will have no time to stop anywhere other than to try to get caught up on sleep. In any event, you cannot drive to the West Canyon, that is on Indian land and you would need to take their buses into that area chewing up even more time that you don't have. This trip needs to go back to the drawing board for a serious rethink. If you cut out Phoenix and the West Canyon, and gave serious consideration to not going too far on the first day, you might be able to briefly visit both the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas before flying home. But all in all, I think you're trying to pack way too much into far too little time.

AZBuck

Default exhausting

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Even reading your trip sounds exhausting. I think you're setting yourself up for a trip where you are trying to do so very much that you can't enjoy anything. What makes even less sense is that you say you want to drive as little as possible, yet set yourself up for a trip where you're going to be driving almost non-stop, doing hundreds of miles of backtracking in the process.

Just think about what you are doing here.

You're going to fly 6 hours to LAX, then fight afternoon traffic through LA, best case arriving in Vegas 5 hours, but more likely 6 hours, later. Throw in all of the typical airport stuff, security, baggage, car rental, etc, and you're going to be looking at probably 14-15 hours between the time you get to the airport for departure and arrive at your hotel in Vegas.

Then then next day, you're going to wake up early (you'll have to at this pace) drive 5 hours to the Grand Canyon, stay for "a couple hours" and then drive another 4 hours to Phoenix!? Then, after you arrive at night in Phoenix, you're going to wake up early again the next morning, so you can drive back to Vegas - but instead of going back to Vegas directly which is about a 300 mile/6 hour trip, you're going to go right back the way you came, again detouring to the Grand Canyon which will make for a 500 miles 9-10 hour day, before you stop to look at the Canyon again!

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how your plan makes any sense. At the very least I would cut out Phoenix, and just spend the night around the Grand Canyon. I'd also either try to fly directly into Las Vegas, or I would skip driving to Vegas your first day and head directly towards the Grand Canyon, spending the night somewhere along the way, perhaps in Needles or Kingman.

4. Default

Thank you very much for the replies. Driving never bothers me and I'm not worried of being tired at any point. Who needs time to relax when there is so much to be done? :)

We'll probably visit the canyon once on the way there, and then make the direct trip to vegas from Phoenix.

But any comments on what to see during the drive from LA to Vegas? After a 5 hour flight from Hawaii, I'm usually pumped up and running on adrenaline.

Hi iham32 and welcome.

Thank you very much for the replies. Driving never bothers me and I'm not worried of being tired at any point. Who needs time to relax when there is so much to be done? :)
    I think you may have missed the point a little, the pace you have set is going to get nothing done other than drive and sleep and have little time to enjoy your surroundings.

Is flying into Vegas an option? It will make for a far better trip if it is.

But to answer your question, just of I-15 past Barstow there is Calico ghost town. if that's of interest to you.

Default little can be done

Driving never bothers me and I'm not worried of being tired at any point. Who needs time to relax when there is so much to be done? :)
    It isn't about relaxing as it is having enough hours in a day! You've only got so much daylight to work with, and you are building a trip where it will be almost inevitable that you will be doing much of your traveling at night. Even though there is "so much to be done" there is almost no way that you can do all of it and even what you can do, you'll have to be so focused on getting to the next place, that it won't even be enjoyable.

The trips I plan probably wouldn't be considered very relaxing to a lot of people, and I like to build things with a "keep moving" pace. However, there comes a point where "Keep moving" becomes "don't stop for anything" and with the distances you are looking at, you are going to be going well beyond that point.

Quote Originally Posted by iham32 View Post
    ......... After a 5 hour flight from Hawaii, I'm usually pumped up and running on adrenaline.
    An accident waiting to happen!!

I can only agree with the posts above... this needs a serious rethink.