Default A Tour of the Circumference of the U.S.A.

Hello RTA Forums!

My friends and I were planning a roadtrip around the United States for this summer, hitting the states in this order:

Start. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticutt, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland / D.C., Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, end.

The bold states are the states we're planning to stick around and check out some sites in, non-bold are the states we're just driving through to get around.

The problem is that none of us have ever really done a roadtrip of this magnitude before, so I was wondering if I could get some advice on the following matters...

The first glaring problem that we have is that we only have about thirty days to accomplish all this, so I want to know if it's possible for us to spend time in the bold states and still finish within our timetable.

The second thing is that all of my friends and I are teenagers (three of us are 17, and one will be 18), so I want to know if it's going to be safe traveling like this and what precautions we should take for safety. We plan to do most of our driving during the day.

Being young, we don't have very much money, so if there is anything in the way of economy you can offer me I will be very thankful. For example, how can we save money on meals, and what kind of car should we drive for maximum mileage while still getting good interior room?

We're going to be bringing some technology (laptops, camera, and a camcorder) with us, so are there any precautions we should take for the safety of that stuff?

I would appreciate it very much if you could answer those questions! Thank you.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default pushing out

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

30 days will give you enough time to make a lap around the US, but you probably won't have time to spend multiple nights in all the state's you've got listed. I'd take a rough estimate that you'll need at least 3 weeks worth of solid driving days to cover the distance you're talking about.

As far as budget goes, how much money do/will you have available for this trip? Even cheap trips cost a fair amount of money.

As far as cars go, when you're 17/18 years old, the car you take is the car you have available. Presumably if money is tight, you're not going to have the money to buy a car just for this trip. Worry about finding one that you can use and is mechanically sound enough to make a trip of this length.

Your ages will be working against you. Lodging-wise, you will find it hard to find motel rooms or hostels. Even those that will rent a room to an 18 year old, often times will not allow 3 unrelated minors to also stay in the room.

I would really encourage you to think about this trip, how much money you'll realistically have available, what your transportation options will be, where you will spend your nights, etc. I think its very possible that you might find that planning a trip of a smaller scale would be a more realistic goal and one that in the long run could be a lot more fun.

3. Default

When I was 24 I took a 15,000 mile solo road trip around the circumference of the US and Canada (bypassing the Deep South). It took me 52 days and I averaged 500 miles on each day that I drove. I never drove at night. If you are willing to drive every day, sharing the wheel, you can easily cover 15,000 miles in a month.

The trip cost me $2500 including $500 in car repairs in Wakefield, Quebec. I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and drank tang, picking up fresh fruit at roadside stands. I camped nearly every night, sometimes on the side of the road. Your trip should be slightly more expensive because you need to feed several people. If you can afford it, do it. You will remember it forever.