Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Florida road trip any suggestions please.

Hi folks Me and the wife are flying out from the UK into Miami 1st April 09. We are staying in Miami (South Beach) wed Thurs and Fri then are looking to tour. We would like to do the Keys ,the Everglades and Naples but would like to get into Orlando by wed 8th as we are meeting my parents in Orlando and then we fly home from Orlando on the 15th. Any suggestions on routes and places to see (or not) greatly appreciated.
    Sean.

2. Default

Everglades tours are pretty cool if you go by airboat. They're loud but you get to see a whole bunch of wildlife and, depending where in the Everglades, maybe an Indian (or mock Indian) camp.

If you do infact do Naples, Tampa is on your way on Interstate 75 getting to Orlando.

I'm not sure if there is a shuttle launch during your time, but that would be by far the coolest thing you could see on your trip to Florida. It's truly magnificent.

Daytona Beach is only an hour or so from Orlando. If you have the time, you can't pass up "The World's Most Famous Beach" and the Daytona International Speedway.

first and foremost WELCOME TO FLORIDA!

Insert>What Interests you? what do you like to do for fun?
    ok florida has a lot to do in the keys depending on which ones you go to. there are almost always rental places for Jet-skis boats and equipment. john pennekamp state park is mad cool lots of aquatic wildlife and also there is the underwater jesus statue. there is a pirate museum in Isla Morada it's pretty cool. there is the most southern point in the contenental US and duval street. hemmingways house and glass bottom boats are cool. further up you have all the nightlife of miami and they have some nice beaches. on the west coast there is Tampa and such. decent you can watch the sun set they have the gulf so its a lot more shallow than our ocean there are sand dollars you can find and bleach yourself. I've got class now but I'll try to get back to you with more stuff.

4. Default

Thanks Mike I believe there is a launch the day we fly into Miami so unless it gets delayed we may miss out on that but thanks for the reply I will look into the air boat tours in the Everglades I really want to do that but do you think its worth staying in the area or doing the tour on our way through?
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-26-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Complete quote of previous post removed

5. Default

Thanks Brian me and the missus are both quite laid back we enjoy the beach and I love a bit of snorkeling the wife likes the museum type places of interest so john pennekamp state park sounds good and I think we will definitely drive down the Keys then make our way back up the East coast to Tampa before crossing to Orlando . Can you give us a Timescale we could use as like I say we are in Miami until Sat morn then looking to be in Orlando by Wed any time of day. We could possibly do the Everglades while we are staying in Miami just book a tour from there.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-26-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Complete quote of previous post removed

Default Bahia Honda Not Pennecamp

I go to the keys about once a year, the past two I have been road tripping there instead of driving.

I love John Pennecamp, its a fun park but you cannot beat the snorkeling tour at Bahia Honda state park on Big Pine Key. Its about 30 miles north of key west and the tours take you out on a boat to one of the more pristine reefs. The take about 2 1/2 hours and only cost around 30 bux. Since you will be headed to Key West Bahia Honda is on the way.

Also if you are into weird places I recommend the pizza place on No Name Key. It is interesting to say the least, just make sure you bring a sharpie marker and a dollar bill.

Once you are in Key West, the best tour is the Jimmy Buffet tour (and I am not even much of a parrot head) because they take you on a walking tour of the historic bars, teach you about the conch republic (VIVA LA CONCH!!)and it starts in Capt. Tony's Saloon, another cool place with the old pirate hanging tree still living right in the middle of the bar.

7. Default

Thanks I will look into the Bahia Honda park , we were looking to spend a couple of days in the Keys which would be Sat Sun and leaving on Monday to head up to Tampa . Have I got it right that the Keys are about 106 miles long with driving time of about 4 hours? Time wise is flexible as long as we get into Orlando by Wed evening.

Sean

Default Maybe a Little More

Yes, it's 106 miles from the point at which you first cross over to Key Largo until you get to the end of the line at Key West, but you also need to account for the 60 miles or so between Miami and Key Largo. 4 hours (each way) is probably a reasonable allocation for travel time on between Key Largo and Key West as that is a mostly 2-lane highway with lots of traffic and few places to pass, but if you're like me and stop often to admire the view or walk the beach, it could end up being more.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    4 hours (each way) is probably a reasonable allocation for travel time on between Key Largo and Key West as that is a mostly 2-lane highway with lots of traffic and few places to pass, but if you're like me and stop often to admire the view or walk the beach, it could end up being more.

AZBuck
    As Buck says, you will not want to drive straight through, there are so many places to stop, take photos, admire the beauty, and make it a memorable trip.

Staying in Florida City meant I avoided most of the traffic, and leaving before 6am I was able to enjoy the dawn from various spots along the keys and watch the sun come up .

And don't count on just being able to drive straight down and back. As said above, it is a two way road, and an accident can hold-up traffic, sometimes for hours. Last time I was there we had a 65 minute hold up. There was a film crew up ahead, filming an advertisement.... so we were told later.

The AAA has an excellent detailed map of the Keys.

Lifey who'll be back there in August

10. Default

Thanks guys we have booked two nights in Marathon so we can enjoy the Keys.Traveling down on Sat morning and staying Sat and Sunday night before heading back up Monday.Its nice and cold here in the UK at the moment and the thought of the holiday is the only thing getting me through the working week. We can not wait to get out there now and as its our first time in Florida we will check out the places we want to come back and visit next time. Great site , Great advice.