Default Las Vegas to New York, UK Traveller

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this site

I am in the very early stages of planning a road trip from Las Vegas to New York, it will probably be in autumn time, I think it's the perfect way to see 'real America'

Can anyone give me any tips, places to stop along the way etc. I'm very green to all this only having been to the US on two occassions.

Also any tips on on type of vehicle to hire, I was thinking about a 4x4 but would ideally like a convertible but not sure what the weather is likely to be like.

any responses would be most grateful.

Many Thanks

Default "Real America"

It's easier than finding the "fake one" Lol!

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

A lot will depend on your interests and how long you have to take this trip, but you will find thousands of ideas searching the forums and road trip planning pages [green tool bar above]. From Vegas alone you are surrounded by many many options. Grand canyon, Monument valley, Death valley are all amazing and offer landscapes we don't see the like of here in the U.K. Many more amazing parks in Utah such as Zion, Bryce canyon, Arches to name a few. You might want to go through Colorado and the rockies for more amazing but different Alpine scenery.
    Depending on when you set out you could witness the famous New England fall colours but it's a very busy time of year.

Have a look around and start plotting out places of interest and give us more info and we can help you piece your trip together.

Car's are a personal choice but if you rent a 4x4 you can't go off roading and you won't be able to go anywhere you wouldn't in a 2 wheel drive. A convertible is nice if it fits in your budget but could have space issues for luggage.

Many thanks Southwest Dave, your response is much appreciated.

I am not planning to book any hotels beforehand, I presume they're fairly widespread and easy to book on arrival?

Barry

Default "Winging it"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Chuckle View Post
    I am not planning to book any hotels beforehand, I presume they're fairly widespread and easy to book on arrival?

Barry
    Hi Barry,

That's correct,generally speaking you will be fine, plenty of folk just "wing it" and have no problems. Some of the popular N.P's can get booked up, even in the Fall and if New England was an option towards the end of your trip and during peak leaf watching season you would be best off booking.