Thread: transport

1. Default transport

Hi,

We're from the UK. My wife & I are spending 8 weeks going from New York to San Francisco starting in March.

What's the best way to travel across the US? We're keen to drive and hire a car, but the cheapest option seems to be £1300 for 50 days which is expensive. does anybody know of better deals or cheaper ways to travel which doesn't restrict us in stopping where we like?

many thanks for any help

TC Miles

Default Limited.

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

I don't think there is another way to travel that won't be restrictive. When you have stopped at main locations you still need transport to get out and about and unless you are planning on staying in one place as a base for several days at a time where you could hire a car for a few days at a time there really isn't another option. I would search the net for any good deals. I have heard of company's that need some of there fleet shifting across country and offer big discounts to do so, but they would have start and finish dates that you would have to meet within the deadline times.

Default driveaway

Traveling can be expensive, there's really no getting around it. While a bit pricey, there really is no better way to get around the US than by car - especially since mass-transit options simply don't go to many of the biggest highlights.

When Dave talks about moving fleet vehicles, generally, you're looking at Driveaway Companies. The problem is they expect the cars to be driven in a straight line in about the minimum amount of time. You might be able to get them to give you a few extra days for the travel, but it wouldn't work for a 2 month long trip.

4. Default

thanks for the tips. i guess you just have to rent a car for the whole trip. regards

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    When Dave talks about moving fleet vehicles, generally, you're looking at Driveaway Companies. The problem is they expect the cars to be driven in a straight line in about the minimum amount of time.
    Not quite right Michael. That has not been my experience at all. Won't go into detail here, as I have just posted a brief summary of my experiences on the link you provided.

Lifey loved her driveaway experience