1. Default Car rental in Vegas

I've been trying to reserve a car for our summer trip, and I'm really irritated with the Vegas car rental prices!

I should've investigated more carefully up front; I could've planned to fly into Denver just as easily, but now that's no longer an option (because we're flying free on points, which is tough to switch, and we've already made most of our hotel ressies). I'm stuck with renting in Vegas -- but anyone else who's reading this, please learn from my mistakes!

Anyway, the extra fees in Vegas are outrageous! $3/day concession fee plus other local taxes. It's highway robbery! The taxes are as expensive as a week's car rental!

But I digress. Here are my questions:

We're flying into McCarran, and they have a centralized system for their rental cars.
    I've looked into taking a shuttle to our hotel, then renting from a place within walking distance -- that's even more expensive than renting from the airport!
    I've looked into renting from a place in Henderson, but that seems to be just as much -- and not so convenient.

Does anyone have any advice? I think I'm just plain screwed on this one.

Default You should have looked at our field notes.....

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
    I've been trying to reserve a car for our summer trip, and I'm really irritated with the Vegas car rental prices!
    The Las Vegas surcharges aren't the highest in the USA, but they are steep. Here are some others we have documented....
    I'm stuck with renting in Vegas -- but anyone else who's reading this, please learn from my mistakes!
    Even with the surcharges, I would still recommending using Las Vegas as the hub for such a trip -- it just makes more sense when you factor in the cost of fuel.
    We're flying into McCarran, and they have a centralized system for their rental cars.
    Wait until you see this rental place -- it's like a small air terminal -- built for the scale of rental cars -- I really like it -- one of the best such terminals I've ever used.
    I've looked into taking a shuttle to our hotel, then renting from a place within walking distance -- that's even more expensive than renting from the airport! I've looked into renting from a place in Henderson, but that seems to be just as much -- and not so convenient.
    There is a shopping center a block away from the rental terminal (corner of Warm Springs and Gilespie Street) that offers discount coupons for rentals -- but I've never used them and I don't know how you would reach them from your home. It's possible that you could get a cheaper rate from Enterprise at one of the neighborhood centers, but if it were me, I would just get the car at the rental terminal and enjoy the convenience of not spending 1/2 an extra day chasing a "better deal."

Mark

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Wait until you see this rental place -- it's like a small air terminal -- built for the scale of rental cars -- I really like it -- one of the best such terminals I've ever used . . . It's possible that you could get a cheaper rate from Enterprise at one of the neighborhood centers, but if it were me, I would just get the car at the rental terminal and enjoy the convenience of not spending 1/2 an extra day chasing a "better deal."
    For all those extra taxes and fees, it'd better be good! I've been to Vegas, but I've never rented a car.

I agree that I'm not going to waste half a day searching for a petty discount -- but I'll gladly waste some time right now searching on the 'net!

Thanks, and -- yes -- I should've read more thoroughly before I committed to this choice.

Jerry Guest

When searching for car rental prices online, it's a good idea to look for rates using a car rental discount code. There are hundreds of membership programs and professional associations that offer car rental discount codes to their members.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-26-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Sorry, New members may not post off-site links