Default Twitter for Roadtrippers

I've started a Twitter account for RTA. The page can be seen here. I'm not sure how this will play out, but encourage you to follow RTA on Twitter and see if this is a useful tool for road trip planning.

Mark

Default I'm a follower

I really haven't figured out this Twitter thing. Heck, I'm still confused about MySpace and Facebook. But I'll follow along anyway. ;) And you've actually got quite a few other followers already.

Default Cool & A quick overview

In the simplest terms (because that's the only way I ever understand anything)... Twitter is like a tiny sub-set of Facebook -- It is only the "status" part of Facebook. "What are you doing right now"

It allows one to keep in touch with scores of people at the same time without the commitment or time-consuming invasions of e-mail. You don't have to read everything -- you can skim the dispatches and only read the ones that are interesting to you.

Also, unlike Facebook where when you drop a friend (it shows on their facebook) you can drop and add follows all of the time and there is no personal impact of that decision.

On the RTA Twitter account, I am following media outlets that I think would be of interest to other roadtrippers, so this becomes a sort of media-clearing house for road trip info. Plus, whatever posts I make as well.

Likewise on the Mark Sedenquist/Living-Las-Vegas twitter account, I am following news feeds of interest to folks visiting or living in Las Vegas, or social media developments -- This twitter account is branded to my personal brand of Mark Sedenquist--- so, it is more specialized than the RTA account.

Edit: More info -- If you are already a member of Twitter when you click on any of those links above, you will see the news feeds that I referenced for both accounts -- if you are not a member of Twitter you will see a list of Following sites avatars on the right side of the page, which you can look at your leisure) but if you are not a member of Twitter, you will only see my posts which aren't that interesting by themselves..... For that reason, signing up for a Twitter account will make looking at my Twitter accounts more interesting....

More info: Here is a good explanation about some of the Twitter slang and communication shortcuts.

Mark

Default good explaination

I'm usually not that interested in the various social networking sites, but I try to at least stay somewhat in touch with them. Twitter is the one that I really have never understood. That's probably the best explaination I've been given . I still don't really care, but at least now I know what I'm (not) missing!

oooh... I think I finally managed to convince my friends that I no longer use Myspace but I may well check this out to see how it compares to Facebook. Just for fun like

Default An example of the "strength" of twitter

I see some of our regulars are now following RTA -- cool -- So, the next time you log in look at the tweet from the Montana Highway Dept "tweet" -- if you were driving in Montana and had this on your phone, you would know that:

"SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS ON MT-13 - 26 MILES SOUTH OF SCOBEY TO THE CANADIAN LINE FROM MILEPOST 25 TO MILEPOst" something and you could click right to the appropriate report"

A potentially very useful service for roadtrippers. I would love to know how or if you are using Twitter in your daily lives....

Mark

Default A good overview of getting started

Here's a post (tweet) about how get started using Twitter...
    Start by going to Twitter.com and click the Get Started button like the one from above. From here on itís pretty simple, like you fill in every other account on the web. Once that is done click I Accept and the Create Account button.

Next, Twitter will give you a chance to see if some of your friends are on Twitter by checking your online address book. However, your contacts will have to be in one of the supported services: GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, or MSN.

This wasnít that helpful to me initially, since I only chat (seriously) with about 3-5 people on my list, and they arenít that much interested in Twitter apart from...
    .read more here...