Default New York to Miami & Orlando - March / April

My bf and I will be taking a trip from New York to Miami finishing up in Orlando this March / April.

We have 16 days to do this trip in - theres a lot to do in this time, but I've done 3 or so road trips on similar distances with less number of days so know it can be done. Really looking forward to it!

This is how the plan looks at the moment.

Monday pm - arrive New York - spend about 4 days here (hotel Thirty Thirty) - I've stayed in NY numerous time for work / play so know what I want to do here and also new things to experience.

Friday - pick up car from Newark airport and drive to Washington DC, taking in Philly and Baltimore. Car hire is with National - they have the cheapest one way drop off charge of $250 plus tax that we could find (we called round lots and used the web). Car rental for midsized car (pontiac G6) was £284 GBP for 9 days. Stay overnight Washington (hotel booked).

Saturday - drive Washington to Wilmington via Richmond on the I95 - we'd love to drive the coastal route but dont think we have the time, if there are suggestions of detours to anything specific must see / do then let us know.
    Overnight in motel Wilmington NC.

Sunday - drive Wilmington to Jacksonville FL - coastal route. Stay in motel in Jacksonville overnight. Any ideas on stop offs along the way welcome!

Monday - drive Jacksonville to Miami - hotel to be booked - does anyone know of accomodation in sobe that you can park a car at? or should we use a garage... is it cheaper?

Wednesday - drive Miami to Tampa Bay - stay night in motel.

Thursday - drive Tampa Bay to Orlando (hotel booked in Kissimmee, main gate). We dont have to give the car back until Sat / Sun so we can do things further a field for a few days before spending time at the parks etc.

Saturday / Sunday - return hire car to MCO airport - dropping off here (rather than international drive) made the car rental considerably cheaper! Does anyone know of a relatively cheap way of getting back to the parks / kissimmee from the airport?

Tuesday - 9pm Flight from MCO to JFK... stay overnight at on site airport.

Wednesday - 0800 flight from JFK to UK.

Any comments on our itinerary welcomed... any must do / see tips much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this essay ;)

Tucson, AZ

Default My Picks

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your trip seems generally well paced, so I'll just offer a few comments and suggestions. On the drive from New York to Washington, you may not have as much time as you think. Both New York and Washington are large metropolitan cities with extended rush hours that don't have the typical 'one-way' commute. Traffic will be heavy even though you're leaving New York in the morning rush hour and driving into Washington in the evening. I wouldn't try to do too much on this drive, but a visit to Philadelphia would be in order, particularly the area around Independence Mall downtown. For lunch, stroll south 9th street. Wilmington, NC is an odd choice since it is well off the main route (I-95) down to Florida. I assume you have some personal reason for going there, but if you have the time and the interest, visit the battleship North Carolina. For the next day's drive down to Jacksonville, try to get an early start so that you can spend some time having a nice lunch in Savannah and then stroll through some of that towns many great squares. Jacksonville to Miami is another day where you can spend a few hours along the way doing stuff other than driving. I'm a bit prejudiced, but I'd suggest a stop at the Kennedy Space Center or if you're so inclined, exploring the Canaveral National Seashore. Anyway, those are things that I've enjoyed and would suggest that you at least consider.

Many thanks! yes we definitely plan a trip to the space centre and are really looking forward to it. You're right we are going to Wilmington for personal reasons (via Richmond - altho I don't have my map in front of me so could have that part wrong)... if we were to stop else where (we'd like to switch to the coast route at this point) where would you suggest.

Also would you recommend a different route from NY to Washington?

Thanks for reading :)
    Last edited by Clairerosey; 01-23-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Tucson, AZ

Default New York to Washington, etc.

There are more than a few ways to get from New York to Washington, but if you want to see Philadelphia, or Baltimore for that matter, then you just have to bite the bullet and come down the New Jersey Turnpike to Philadelphia and I-95 from there. In the end, I think you'll find Philadelphia worth it especially if you are at all interested in the history of our leaving the empire. If, on the other hand, you're just looking for a relaxing but all-day drive, then you can leave New York on I-78 west to I-81 and Harrisburg. From there US-15 will take you by Gettysburg and then down to Fredericksburg, MD where I-270 would complete the drive into Washington.

If you are really interested in seeing some of America's coastline, then after Washington and Richmond, take I-64 to Norfolk, and VA-168/NC-168/US-158 to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Be sure to stop in Manteo to see the museum and remains of Fort Raleigh and then continue south on NC-12 to Ocracoke and take the ferry across to Cedar Island. From there US-70/NC-24/US-17 will take you down to Wilmington. If you go this way, you must allow a good extra day for the slower drive and the number of things that will demand your attention.