Thread: From Norway

1. Default From Norway

My wife, kids and me are traveling to New York from Norway in April. We'll stay in the NY area for a while, but we're also planning a trip to Orlando by renting a RV and drive to Florida to visit an in-law.

What points of interests are worth visiting on the way? Which route should I choose? I would prefer an easy route, since I don't have much experience driving a RV.

I've rented the RV for 9 days, and I'll spend 2 days in Orlando. That gives me 7 days for the round-trip.

If the days of traveling seems too short in time to manage, please tell me so.

Thanks for any help!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default y rv

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm wondering why you are choosing an RV for this trip in the first place? It doesn't sound like you feel all that comfortable driving such a large vehicle, and considering your relatively short timeframe, it doesn't seem like it is the ideal choice.

There are lots of options for making this trip. The drive from NY to Florida can be done in as little as 2 days each way via 1-95, but there are a lot of other options, including spending time near the coast or heading into the mountian. There are many threads here that offer suggestion so you should take a look around to find the right trip for you, but I think this thread is one of the best overviews of your options.

3. Default

For the most direct, easiest route, just take I-95. It goes from NY to Florida. You won't see much from the interstate, but it will get you there.

On the trip, I'd stop at, from north to south:

1) Philadelphia
    2) Baltimore (really just the Harbor) - if you have to cut things, cut this first
    3) Washington (if you want to get an "American" feel to the trip, you need to see Washington and the government buildings and the Smithsonian)
    4) Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia
    5) the Blue Ridge Mountains and/or Smoky Mtn Natl. Park in VA and North Carolina/ Tennessee (the latter will take you out of your way a bit, but it's the most visited National Park in America for a reason)
    6) Hilton Head and/or other beach resorts in South Carolina or Georgia

If you like amusement parks, Six Flags Great Adventures in New Jersey (and Busch Gardens in VA to a lesser extent) is not to be missed.

Your traveling time is pretty short. In an RV and in unfamiliar territory, NYC to Orlando is going to cost you about 17-20 hours of driving (each way), which means you're looking at 2/3 of the time in the car and one-third seeing things for a 3 day trip each way.

If I were you, I'd try to allocate at least 4 days in each direction if you want to make all these stops. (You should really spend at least a day in Washington.)

Also, I don't know how much time you're allocating to New York, but I hope it's at least a couple of days.

April's a nice time to come. You're unlikely to run into bad winter weather and the temp should be pleasant up and down the coast. Also, things are less crowded than in the summer or winter Holidays.

Good luck and keep us posted (I love living vicariously through other people's trips. :) )

4. Default

Thanks for the link and the suggestions from both of you. Lots of info there.

I've been thinking maybe a RV is not so good idea for this trip, since I'll spend too much driving it in stead of spending time in it. I may have to extend my days or just rent a van instead.

Joplin MO

For a trip that short, a minivan and hotels could wind up a lot cheaper. It's a lot easier driving a minivan than a RV through cities, the rental cost is less, and it gets better gas mileage.