Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default San Francisco - Las Vegas 31 days

Hey,

We just booked our flight, and we are arriving in San francisco 29. june, and leaving from Las Vegas August 3hrd.

We are two boys, age 21 from Norway. We both been to USA several times before, and have som expirience. This is our plan:

San Fran - Carmell - Los Angeles - San Diego - (Mexico) - Orange County on the road back again - Las Vegas.

We are very unsecure about Mexico. Someone have any expirience?

We do like to party, someone know som good places to stop? :)

Further on, im gratefull for any tips on places to stop, and "must-see" locations.

I read somewhere that Yosemite National Park must be seen, and we are planning on doing that.

We are going to rent a car, most likely from Avis and we are thinking about a Mustang or Camaro. How is the space in this cars?

Thanks for any help.

Morten

Default Lots of options.

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

You certainly have plenty of time to explore the Southwest. I would agree that Yosemite shouldn't be missed. In the Vegas area you have such other Parks as Zion, Bryce Canyon and the Grand canyon. You have the desert landscapes of Monument valley and Death valley and many many more options with the time you have. Have a search of the forums and roadtrip planning pages for ideas. Here is a link that has many suggestions to get you started.

On the car rental sites they normally give you an indication of what a vehicle can carry passenger and luggage wise, but as you are 21 years of age expect to pay a premium on your rental, which I would imagine would be quite high on those models [if indeed they let you.]

Being under 25, the rental companies will most likely limit you to standard sedans. You also will not be allowed to take a US rental car into Mexico.

Expect the rental to be expensive - you will be paying a "under 25" surcharge, and a one-way dropoff fee.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

You certainly have plenty of time to explore the Southwest. I would agree that Yosemite shouldn't be missed. In the Vegas area you have such other Parks as Zion, Bryce Canyon and the Grand canyon. You have the desert landscapes of Monument valley and Death valley and many many more options with the time you have. Have a search of the forums and roadtrip planning pages for ideas. Here is a link that has many suggestions to get you started.

On the car rental sites they normally give you an indication of what a vehicle can carry passenger and luggage wise, but as you are 21 years of age expect to pay a premium on your rental, which I would imagine would be quite high on those models [if indeed they let you.]
    Thank you for your tips. About the costs of the rental car, this is of no importance. For us, this is the trip of our lifetime, and we do really not care if it costs 1000$ or 2000$. The total cost of this trip, is to some instinct, really not a issue, but we are'nt stupid.

They do let me rent, i talked to both Avis and Hertz. They both replied that there will be a higher cost, but no restrictions on which car we coud rent.

Further on, im still looking around the forum to find grate places to stop, and plan our roadtrip more detailed. Im glad for your help, and starting to really look forward to the summer :D

Default That's good !

Hi,

I am glad it isn't an issue for you, but we point the car rental issues out at as it's quite often overlooked in the early stages of planning.

You can look around the National parks site for more info on the parks in the area.
    Once you have started to put your plan together feel free to ask more questions and we will be able to help you piece it together for a memorable trip !

I used to drive a Mustang -- it was the version previous to the current one, but still pretty much the same size. It's a fun car and I imagine would add to the mystique of the trip for someone who doesn't see Mustangs constantly. Just a few possible issues: (1) it's not extremely roomy -- probably fine for two guys, but the trunk's not huge and the back seat can be a bit of a pain to get into; (2) the doors are gigantic, which sometimes makes it tough to get out of the car if you're in a tight parking space; (3) the mileage isn't as good as you think it ought to be (I imagine the current version gets similar to the 23 or so highway mpg that I used to get).

I've lived in SoCal for eight or nine years now and, at the risk of coming off negative in my first-ever post, people here don't often visit Mexico unless they have family down there. Unless you're going to go deep into the country to some of the more historical and culturally important areas, you're not missing much. If you do end up going, especially given that you'll have a rental car, you can park the car on the US side of the border and walk into Mexico. It's usually more convenient and you don't have to check the latest travel guide to see what the current bribe amount is to get out of having to jail for speeding. (Just sayin'.) Odds are you'll be plenty safe in Mexico -- just that the the odds there aren't as high as they are in the US (let alone Norway).

Also, if you're going to be in Vegas and you like the outdoors at all, Zion's and Bryce Canyons are HIGHLY recommended. And if you're into hiking, the Virgin River Narrows hike in Zion's is outrageously fantastic (but you have to reserve a spot well in advance if you want to camp along the way there).

Just my 2 kroner.

bk

7. Default

Hey,

Thank you for a very good answer. After posting on this forum, i have now started to set up a more detailed plan.

I will post it here on the forum, so that maybe next time the person who is going to do this roadtrip just can follow. I have read through most of the "sticky" threads, and have come up with som good ideas.

The reason why I just cannot follow the others, is that we are in a different age-group, and this trip would be more specific for the youth. (READ: more alcohol involved). Dont misunderstand me, this will not be a pure drinkingtrip, but some partying we need to. We cannot go to California without cheking out the ladieees :)

About the Mustang. Since we just are two guys, I dont think we are going to sit in the backseat :P We most likely going to use it as a place to stash up our stuff. We are very much interested in buying ourselves a surfboard, but not sure when. If we buy it when we arrive, we must have it all the way. Might this be a problem? Is there possible to order a "stand" that we can have on our car so we can carry the surfboard on the roof?
    The second problem, is the "low tide" and "high tide" situation. Maybe the best solution is to rent?

Apologize for the bad english, this is the reason I should have payed alot more attention in english-class.. :(

Well, the *girls* may not want to sit in the backseat either... :) And FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen a surf board strapped on top a Mustang, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Good luck.

bkd

9. Default

haha when i meet a girl out on a bar, i dont say "Hi, do you wanna come to my place and drive in the backseet of my car?" But thats me ;)

10. Default

I have now read thorugh mostly of the tips for this trip.
    A little more detailed plan have been set up:

San Francisco – Yosemite – Monterey – Carmel – Death Valley – Santa Barbara – Santa Monica – Long beach – Huntington Beach – San Diego - Newport beach – Tijuana – Orange County – Las Vegas.

Is this the most effective way to see this places? My geography is'nt that good either.. :)

When you have read this and posted me some answers, i will reply with a more detailed plan.

I was using the "google maps" and I did'nt find orange county! We want to go where the O.C was filmed!

What is the road named that is going along the sea?
    Last edited by Mortinho; 01-25-2009 at 07:36 AM.