Default Anniversary road trip west

our 25th wedding Ann. is coming in October. As we have never been out west I would like to see the grand Canyon ,Hoover Dam, and Maybe a show or two in Vegas, as we do not gamble. then I am looking to see the Giant trees in California , and Yosemite. Is it best to fly into vegas and rent a car and then head to Hoover,Canyon. Then how do we get to California? What exactly is Death Valley? Is there anything to see there? My only reference is old westerns. Are there motels along the way or should we make reservations for a different one every where we go? We have two weeks and I want to see as much of nature as we can. How long does it take to get from vegas to yosemite? I would like to fly home to New York from San Fran, can I take a rental car into another state and leave it at a diff, airport?

thanks so much, I am new to computers and not real saavy, but found this site and hope to get some help

Tucson, AZ

Default Great Area, Great Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For starters, have a look through these discussions of similar trips to get an idea of what's available, travel times, itineraries, etc. One decision you'll face is whether to make this a one way or round trip. You can certainly rent a car in Las Vegas and drop it off in San Francisco, but it will run you an extra $200 or so. Death Valley is the lowest area in North America. It is also a desert and often the hottest place in the country reaching 115-120║F. But in October it should be very tolerable. If Tioga Pass over the Sierra Nevadas is open, it's a bit over 400 miles from Yosemite to Las Vegas, and even allowing for the slower speeds through the mountains that can be driven in a day. If the pass is closed due to snow (a possibility even in October) then you have to drive around the mountains through Bakersfield and Barstow, about 550 miles, but since the roads are mostly freeways, the driving time would be roughly the same. Since you will be traveling at off peak times, reservations won't be necessary, and not having them allows you to respond to changing weather and your own spontaneity. That should be enough info to at least give you some ideas and get you started on your planning. Don't hesitate to raise further questions as they occur to you.

Default excited to travel

Is it a long distance from vegas to death valley? Are there places to stay there? Not really worried about the cost at this point, we have another couple coming with us and we are splitting the costs. I would like to take our time and just see the sites and not focus on getting somewhere fast. I want to see the giant sequuoia trees, is that far from Tioga Pass? Or is that in the other direction? Then up to Yosemite for a few days. Last stop will be to see the Pacific Ocean, just to say that I have been there. Maybe a costal drive .

I forgot to mention that we will be leaving vegas after a couple of days and travel to the Grand Canyon, and find a place to stay there for atleast 1 night to see all we can.
    thanks so much ,that is all I can think of for now.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Basics

I think that the threads that Buck linked to should provide the answers you are looking for in much greater detail. However, Death Valley is about 2 hours from Vegas, and there are a few lodging options.

Sequoias are a type of tree found only in a few spots. The largest in size and numbers can be found at Sequoia National Park, however there are a couple groves within Sequoia National Monument and Yosemite National Park.

Tioga Pass goes through Yosemite National Park, but you'd have to head to the areas listed above if you want to see Sequoias.