1. Default East to West Coast

Hi Guys,

I am from the UK and I found this site today and it looks excellent, exactly what I have been looking for to help me with my planning!!! I am planning a trip to ideally take me from East to West Coast but that is as far as it has got so far. We would really like to buy an old muscle car to take the trip in to make it more fun than having a hire car, but are not sure how realistic that would be. Time wise we were thinking of having 3 weeks off in which to take the trip but again are not sure if this is a realistic time frame. I have been reading other posts about what to see and we would like to incorporate as much as possible. We are hoping to have at least 3 drivers on the trip so we should be able to cover more ground.

Any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks

Amy :-0

Default Time-yes. Car - no.

Hi Amy-Lou, Welcome to R.T.A.

Well you have come to the right place to get help planning you roadtrip !

You should have a good search of the forums and Roadtrip planning pages, [in the green tool bar above] find things of interest to you and get the map out and start plotting a rough plan of where things are. Find a suitable start and finish point on each coast and then we can help you piece your trip together around your route and interests.
    It is generally recommended to take 5-6 days of travel to cross the country so with 3 weeks you will have plenty of time to explore. [Is it a one way trip?]

It really won't be worth buying a car for 3 weeks. Other than finding the time to purchase and then try and sell it, you would need an address in the U.S and have to go through all the registration paper work, Insurance, licensing e.t.c.

Default Time and sights

The musclecar (the term seems to include more and more models every year) market fluctuates, but for a three week trip, I agree that it would not be worth the effort to try and find a car that would be up to this challenge and then have to sell it at the end.

Three weeks is plenty to get a good amount of sights in on a one-way trip. Having three people driving will allow you to cover more ground, but not necessarily see more - after all, if you're trying to maximize your coverage, some of that driving is going to have to be at night. Anyway, with this amount of time and three capable drivers, you shouldn't have to worry about "making time".

Where were you thinking of starting your journey? Boston, New York City, and Washington, DC are a few options to think about. Starting in Boston you could take out some backtracking if you wanted to see any of New England and still see areas such as Florida.

4. Default

Thank you for your posts. We have been debating if it is a one way trip or if we will have time to get back as well. We have noted that it cost a lot to drop off in a different location. Would we have time to comfortably drive back and cover a different route? I will look at all the pages on the forums and get an idea of where everyone wants to visit. The National Parks will be a definite! Do you know of any good places to hire Winnebago’s as that is an option we have considered and are going to compare it to hiring a car and paying for lodgings. What would you advise? Also can you give a rough estimate on fuel costs?

We had considered New York as a starting point, but will look into Boston if that could be a better idea. We want to see as much as possible really so that could be our best option.

Thanks for all your advice.

Default Choices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We have been debating if it is a one way trip or if we will have time to get back as well. We have noted that it cost a lot to drop off in a different location. Would we have time to comfortably drive back and cover a different route?
    You will have time to do a return trip and take a different route. You will be able to visit more places but the trade off is more time on the road and not having so much time at the places you do visit. Although there will be a one way drop of fee you would have to check that against the cost of fuel driving back across the country and difference in flight prices.

Do you know of any good places to hire Winnebago’s as that is an option we have considered and are going to compare it to hiring a car and paying for lodgings. What would you advise? Also can you give a rough estimate on fuel costs?
    The two largest R.V. rental company's are Cruise America and El Monte although there are others out there. Depending on how many adults are going you will most likely find the R.V option to be dearer than a car and Motels. With 4 to 6 people sharing costs it starts to balance out. If it's for budget purposes then I would stick to the car, if it's a lifestyle choice and you can work it in your budget I find it a great way to travel.

This is how we got started on Our very first trip. It might help you to work through it.

There is a fuel cost calculator here. It's difficult to predict the price per gallon for fuel in advance though. Right now, $2 a gallon is a good number to use, but that can change - it was over $4 a gallon last summer. You can figure the average rental sedan will get 20 miles per gallon (probably more if it has a 4 cylinder engine), vans and SUV's less - maybe 15, and RV's in the high single digits.

7. Default

Hi

We have decided that it is going to be a 3 week cross country trip, no return. Unfortunately we can’t get the4 weeks off work. We have begun to enquire about RV rental and are waiting for replies. El Monte said up to 60 days for a response, is this normal?? It seems a little excessive to me? How much is an average motel as we are going to explore the car option as well.

We have also begun to look at the main attractions we want to see. So far we have the Grand Canyon as a must, Niagara Falls and Lake Michigan if possible and we also want to visit one or 2 national parks. Can you advise which ones you would visit if you had to pick? We have looked at Yosemite and Yellowstone. Yellowstone is quite far up and we think if we were to visit this one we ay have to sacrifice other aspects of the trip. Any thoughts??

Also any must see sights that you guys can suggest?? We are more interested in the natural things, but5 it would be good to see a few cities on the way.

Thanks again for all your help this is a brilliant site!!

Amy

A motel room can be anywhere from $40 to $100. You can check rates on the major chain websites to get an idea - Motel 6, Super 8, Days Inn, Best Western, etc.

Default Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Lou View Post
    Hi
    We have begun to enquire about RV rental and are waiting for replies. El Monte said up to 60 days for a response, is this normal?? It seems a little excessive to me?
    Amy
    Me too !
    Unless you want to know something more specific other than the costs involved just go through the start of the booking process and it will give you a stage by stage costing of what you may require. Most of them have a F@Q page too so you can get a general idea of what's what before booking. If there is anything else just ask and I will try and answer your question. As I said before it is doubtful it will be the cheap option.
    If you check out Cruise America click on the "Hot deals" logo to see if there is a deal to suit you.

There are numerous other parks to explore in the Grand canyon area [think big] such as Zion and Bryce canyon, you have the deserts areas of Monument valley and Death Valley and in my book Yosemite is a must if it fit's into your plans. Nearby is the Sequoia and Kings canyon parks.
    This A-Z list of states has thousands of possibilities and you may find the NPS site a good resource for info.