Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Vehicle insurance for offshore buyer

{I moved this thread to "off the beaten path" since the trip has shifted from purchasing a RV to a three month roadtrip!}

Hi we are planning to come to US for three months this year. I hope to buy a camper either here on maybe on Ebay.
    Looking though the questions and answers I see the hassle with registering and insuring a vehicle for visitors without a permanent address.
    Could you use one of the rental address services that give you a residential address?
    We were planning to travel from LA around the Florida, up to New York then back to LA via Michigan but would have to average too many miles each day. Instead we might spend a few weeks in three or four central spots.
    I will have some more question shortly but thanks for a very informative site.
    Cheers,
    asdex
    New Zealand
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-24-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Clarification

Default Gray Area

Trying to use a private mailbox company is a bit of a gray area when it comes to dealing with the address issues needed to buy a car. Part of the problem is that things are state by state, so it might work fine in one state, but not in another. Some states do require some sort of proof that you are actually living at the address provided, such as a utility bill, so it wouldn't work in that situation.

The best thing I could say is to try and contact the DMV of the state where you would purchase a car and see what option they might have for you.

For only 3 months, a rental makes more sense. There is no guarantee that you can resell whatever you buy for anything near what it's worth.

4. Default Address in US

Thanks for your information. I do prefer to buy something. I see some reasonable campers on Ebay for under US$5000.00.
    I have just heard my daughter is moving to Texas so we will have an address to use. I read somewhere if you have some sort of offical form sent to you at this address it can help getting registration and insurance.
    Is this correct?
    I'll contact the DMV in California where we will be flying into for suggestions.
    I know we had the same sort of problems with various government departments, schools, insurance in NZ when we lived on our yacht.
    Cheers,
    asdex

Default problems remain

You're still likely looking at a few problems. If you are starting your trip/buying a car in California. You're not going to be able to license/register your car in California with a Texas address. You're probably also going to have some problems trying to register it in Texas. In the best case, you're going to have to find a way to get a transfer permit, where you'll probably have to drive basically direct to Texas to start the registration process. Without a valid Texas ID, it may be tough to get a permit to take the car out of state.

You're also going to have a couple of insurance issues. If everything works out, you're going to have to insure your car in Texas, but it could be very difficult to obtain such a policy while you are in California. You'll need insurance before you can drive it from California to Texas. There are a few companies that operate nationwide, or on the internet, but because of your lack of US driving record or residentcy, I suspect you'll have to do it face to face with an agent. Additionally, several people who have tried to do what you are talking about have reported that without documents that prove you live in the US, like a social security number or a green card, it is almost impossible to get any company to issue an insurance policy.

Unfortantly, there's just a lot of obsticles to any non-resident buying a car in the US, and we don't hear many success stories. If you do find a way to make this work, please let us know.

There is also the issue of required safety and/or emissions inspections. In California, for example, you must get a smog cert before you can register a vehicle.

7. Default Renting a camper

Well it looks like we will have to rent.
    Cheapest I have found is Cheapa Campa in Los Angeles about $3500+10% for 90 days. Can anyone suggest any others that a worth a look?
    Seems like we will be in the US from 1 April till 29 June, is it best to go up to Washington then access to NY or though Texas to Florida then NY?
    Thanks,
    asdex

8. Default Cheaper than a RV/Camper?

I just read this and have seen this mentioned in other threads:
    "A car and camping or hostels would be best for budgets but even a car and Motels would work out cheaper than an R.V."
    Is this correct? And for two adults and a 14 and 17yo?
    Thanks,
    asdex
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-24-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Default no right answer

Is this still a round trip? If that's the case, I might stay south first, to improve your odds of seeing warmer weather, and then come back more to the north. However, if this is a one way trip, then the answer will completely depend upon what you want to see most.

Default generally yes

Quote Originally Posted by asdex View Post
    "A car and camping or hostels would be best for budgets but even a car and Motels would work out cheaper than an R.V."
    Is this correct? And for two adults and a 14 and 17yo?
    Yes, when you factor in the higher rental cost (usually quite a bit higher), plus the increased fuel costs, plus your campground fees, the costs generally are more than renting a car and staying in motels. An RV trip should be considered as a lifestyle choice not a budget one.